Otos and Mystery Snails and Bettas oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello peoples.I have taken a break from the Internet recently, and the last time I was on here I had just gotten two new Otocinclus fish in my heated and filtered 10g as tankmates to my Betta, Pigg. In the last few months Penny and Cabbage have grown to about 2 inches and haven't gotten any bigger than that and are striving. Yesterday, feeling confident in myself, I went out and purchased a third friend for them, Simon, because I know that they should be in groups of three or more. The problem was that the pet store I went to only had two. So along with Simon, I brought home Estabon, the golden Mystery Snail. Simon is looking much healthier already and Penny and Cabbage have been with beside him sucking on the glass since last night.

Now, the reason I have posted this:

This morning, Estabon was gone. I last saw him eating the cucumber I dropped in as a late Christmas present last night. I am yet to be so panicked as to pull out the plastic plants (soon to be real plants when I upgrade to a 20g in February), but I was just wondering if anyone else with Mystery Snails has any ideas on where he may be. He can't get out, the lid is firmly on the tank, and he isn't hiding in the lights. I don't think he got into the filter, since it seems to be running just fine, but I was planning on a full cleaning of it today anyways, so who knows...

And another question I have (sorry for going on):

When I upgrade to my 20g in February (I have to save up for this along with many other things, so it'll take a while for the money, plus my mother says not until after exams), what would you suggest stocking it with, plant and fish wise? I have never had live plants as I usually kill those out of water, so I would be totally new to this. In my current tank I have 3 otos, 1 male betta and a golden mystery snail. I would like to keep them all. What do you suggest to stock the rest of the tank with? (Note: Pigg has eaten 5 glowlight Tetras in the summer, so all Tetras are out).

Thanks for reading! :thanks:

It all depends on if your betta is a bully or not. It may not allow any more fish when you set up the new tank. I'm going to suggest leaving your set up as is and setting up the new tank with new fish. I understand how moms are, mine at first was 100% against me having 2 tanks. But she warmed up to the idea. As for your MIA snail, look around the outside of the tank.

Snails can and will get out of a tank. There has to be at least an openning where the filter is so look around the room really well. My guess is it is on a walk about but really needs to be back in the water. Also once found your going to have to snail proof his escape route.

Tetra1990- I was actually just thinking the same thing... I do need to get them a new heater, but otherwise I might just leave them alone in there. They seem pretty happy, and Pigg is a bit of a mean fish when it comes to anything but bottom dwellers. What would you suggest to stock the 20g with?

Rivercats- It turns out that he was right behind the filter where I couldn't see him, so when the filter came out he was on the back! But I do need to snail-proof the areas where he can get out, I was thinking of maybe a cloth or something over the hole.

Tetra1990- I was actually just thinking the same thing... I do need to get them a new heater, but otherwise I might just leave them alone in there. They seem pretty happy, and Pigg is a bit of a mean fish when it comes to anything but bottom dwellers. What would you suggest to stock the 20g with?

Rivercats- It turns out that he was right behind the filter where I couldn't see him, so when the filter came out he was on the back! But I do need to snail-proof the areas where he can get out, I was thinking of maybe a cloth or something over the hole.

The world is pretty much your oyster,so to speak, on this one:) and yes, if they happily get along, don't rock the boat.

Something else I just remembered is mystery snails lay eggs out of the water usually up around the inside tank lip so don't freak if you would find a mass of eggs one day if you happen to have a female.

Back
Top Bottom