Ottos getting enough to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two ottos in my 10-gallon community tank. There is little if any visible algae. I put in sinking algae wafers when I feed the other fish, but they don't go over and eat them like the other fish do with their food. The wafers are always gone later in the day when I get home, but I have no idea who is eating them or if they are just dissolving. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

robby said:
I have two ottos in my 10-gallon community tank. There is little if any visible algae. I put in sinking algae wafers when I feed the other fish, but they don't go over and eat them like the other fish do with their food. The wafers are always gone later in the day when I get home, but I have no idea who is eating them or if they are just dissolving. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

I have 7 Otos in my 48 gallon (awesome little fish :) ). If I add wafers during normal feeding my Bolivian Ram and Danios think it's a salad bar and nibble at them. What I do is add the wafers right before lights out. If I wake up during the night and turn a light on you can see the Otos gathered by the wafer chowing down. Worth a try.

robby said:

Ottos are picky eaters. I personally had no success getting my ottos to eat algae wafers. Every time I try, it ends up in my Betta tummy! I've tried feeding it when it's dark still no luck.

So I feed my ottos blanched zucchinis :) (30sec in microwave) then I leave it in there for 48 hours. They love it! Every night i see them sucking on it :) and it's normally gone by day 2!

Ottos are picky eaters. I personally had no success getting my ottos to eat algae wafers. Every time I try, it ends up in my Betta tummy! I've tried feeding it when it's dark still no luck.

So I feed my ottos blanched zucchinis :) (30sec in microwave) then I leave it in there for 48 hours. They love it! Every night i see them sucking on it :) and it's normally gone by day 2!

Thanks. So you just slice it and microwave it? Every couple days?

robby said:
Thanks. So you just slice it and microwave it? Every couple days?

So the algae wafers are ok for the betta to eat? I had no idea he would even be interested in them! Sorta frustrating since he just sits there and eats himself silly before my oto gets any lol grrr.

Back
Top Bottom