Our 27 gallon cube is practically empty....restocking ideas needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, after lingering for several months and breaking our hearts, our sick Dwarf Gourami finally went to that glorious aquarium in the sky, leaving our tank (a 27 gallon cube) looking pretty sad. We currently only have a small school of Harlequin Rasboras (eight of 'em), a shrimp, and some snails. I'm hoping to find some new additions for our aquatic community.

Any ideas for some hardy, non-aggressive fish that will be suitable for our tank? Temp is currently 74 degrees and water parameters are stable (although our pH is naturally VERY high and our nitrates are too because we live in a rural area and there is a lot of fertilizer in our tap water). The rasboras seem to prefer hanging out in the top third of the tank. So any ideas for jazzing up the bottom half of the tank would be good. And we would really like another "interesting" centerpiece fish since we are missing our gourami a lot. He was a very personable fish and we like having something in the tank that actually swims up to the glass to say "Hi!"

U could do a group of kuhli loaches for the bottom!! Also u could try some golden dojo loaches.

Loaches prefer a sand bottom, though, right? We have gravel...it's the stuff our LFS recommended since we weren't planning to have a planted tank (at least not until we got more invested in this hobby). But now I've been learning at all the bottom fish want sand and I'm, like, "D'oh!"

So, let me amend my earlier post to say that we have gravel substrate and fake plants, in case that matter to anybody.

Dojo loaches are not a great choice for this tank (too large, can be aggressive, prefer cool and fast-flowing water), but you could keep some kuhlis. Sand might be better for them, but smooth gravel is ok too. A bristlenose pleco is a peaceful addition that won't outgrow your tank and won't mind gravel, if you'd prefer something like that. Apistogramma cacatuoides is a great starter species for someone that is new to dwarf cichlids, if those interest you at all. You'll have a wider margin of error with them than some of the more sensitive species, and there are several color strains if the wild type doesn't appeal to you. They are primarily bottom-dwelling fish.

Seconding the suggestion for the corydoras! A small group of 5 or 6 of one of the smaller varieties would be wonderful, and they can be pretty personable. They're funny little fish, too.

Aside from that, I'd probably suggest a small school of tetras and then whatever centrepiece you decide on. Lots of people here are fond of rams and apisto's. I decided to forego a centrepiece fish in lieu of another small school of tetras. I love the movement and the colour!

I wouldn't recommend Cory's..... Because there barbels r very sensitive to gravel. They should really only be kept in sand or super smooth gravel. I pleco would be good but u might not see him if u have lots of decor since they hide like crazy!! Maybe u could do some strotia loaches!!! They have cool

I really think cories would be fine so long as the gravel isn't jagged and tank maintenance is kept up on. I have friends who've had them for years in a gravel-based tank. They're happy and thriving.

Many people, including me, keep cories with substrate like Floramax or Eco complete. It is pretty much just finely crushed lava rock. My cory cats have healthy barbels.

Personally I like an active tank, so I have a few different breeds of danios that play together and I have a black red tail shark just because of the way they feed around the tank, they will follow any contour of rocks, driftwood etc and they grow to a nice size

Do strotia loaches. Very active don't get to big and have a great personality

We had been thinking we might try a school of danios too. Last year, we bought a dozen Cardinal Tetras at our LFS but they ALL died in quarantine. So frustrating. From what I've heard, the danios are a hardier fish. They aren't particularly flashy, though, and we really do want a larger centerpiece specimen. Wondering whether a male betta would be a bad idea? We have had them in the past and enjoy how interactive they are. If we have established schools of these other smaller, non-aggressive fish and plenty of places for everyone to hide, if needed, would the betta be a problem? The rasboras never paid much attention to our gourami...

Danios are the toughest fish I've had my hands on specially the zebra danios, if they die then there's something really wrong going on, but I have danios and I have two of each breed and the shoal together :)

We had been thinking we might try a school of danios too. Last year, we bought a dozen Cardinal Tetras at our LFS but they ALL died in quarantine. So frustrating. From what I've heard, the danios are a hardier fish. They aren't particularly flashy, though, and we really do want a larger centerpiece specimen. Wondering whether a male betta would be a bad idea? We have had them in the past and enjoy how interactive they are. If we have established schools of these other smaller, non-aggressive fish and plenty of places for everyone to hide, if needed, would the betta be a problem? The rasboras never paid much attention to our gourami...

You never know how schooling fish are going to do in the long term with the long, flashy fins... harlequins are normally quite peaceful so you could probably get away with it, but be aware that the potential for nipping does exist.

You might like a pearl gourami, they're very pretty even though they never look like much in the pet stores. Males are especially colorful but the color takes time to develop as the fish matures.

You could try a pair of Kribs, very colorful and bottom dwelling fish. As long as you have a fair amount of plants (fake is fine, just need a it to feel sheltered and safe) and a cave or two they'll add both color and personality to the tank.

Edit: Oops, just saw the temp. 74 is a little on the chilly side for Kribs, if you bump the temp to 77 they'll be fine. The rasboras will be fine in that temp too.

You might like a pearl gourami, they're very pretty even though they never look like much in the pet stores. Males are especially colorful but the color takes time to develop as the fish matures.

We suspect our previous gourami died from Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus which I understand is highly contagious. So can we ever safely have another gourami in our tank? I has been a few months since we lost our fish. Any idea how long the virus lingers and whether it is just an issue for the Powder Blue Dwarf variety?

We suspect our previous gourami died from Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus which I understand is highly contagious. So can we ever safely have another gourami in our tank? I has been a few months since we lost our fish. Any idea how long the virus lingers and whether it is just an issue for the Powder Blue Dwarf variety?

Dwarf gourami iridovirus does not affect pearl gourami, it affects dwarfs, three spots (and all their morphs) and rarely bettas, angels, and rams. A pearl gourami should be safe.

Thanks! We'll add Pearl Gouramis to our shopping list. (y)

Back
Top Bottom