Our 93 gallon planted Discus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim B

Aquarium Advice Activist
My wife and I have had many aquariums over the years and never thought about Discus before. We were looking for something to make a show piece in a corner of our new home and happened on a great buy on Craigslist for this awesome tank. It's going to be a slow build as I want it setup just right for Discus. Any input about filtration, lighting, where to purchase Discus, tank mates, ect would be greatly appreciated. Keep watching

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just doing a leak testImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417650070.322739.jpg
Got fluorite in. I wanted to leave tank empty to reduce cloudiness but she had it filled when I got home
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417650140.358145.jpg
Adding sand
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417650279.902104.jpg
Now just waiting on it to clear and get my heater in it so we can start a cycle

My wife and I have had many aquariums over the years and never thought about Discus before. We were looking for something to make a show piece in a corner of our new home and happened on a great buy on Craigslist for this awesome tank. It's going to be a slow build as I want it setup just right for Discus. Any input about filtration, lighting, where to purchase Discus, tank mates, ect would be greatly appreciated. Keep watching

Gbr's make good tank mates...seems from what I've picked up on the forum&else where that it is recommended to have a mature tank...also water changes will have to be done frequently(several times a week)...AWESOME fish& wish I had the time to keep them..good luck&enjoy

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Thanks tiger. Yes I am planning on letting the tank get good a seasoned for a few months and we currently do no less than 2 water changes per week on all our tanks any where from 10 to 30%. We are in no hurry for the discus as we want to buy all at the same time

Just got new driftwood for my 93 gallon corner build. Boiled one letting others soak ( too large to boil). Started cycle on tank added 5 Bavarian Rams, 1 albino bristle nose, 1 regular bristle nose, 2 neons, 3 cory cats, 1 clown loach, 3 tetras ( not sure what kind wife bought the fish). Tank is going to be a Discus tank once it's aged and set-up properlyImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417774581.268292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417774608.650034.jpg

Nice wood! I'd be a little worried about that stock, the tetras, cories, and loaches are all shoaling.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

You will definitely need at least 6 clown loaches and the same for the neons and whatever the other tetras are.

Maybe a bolivian cream pie too:) ask us lots of questions! Please!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies. We always have no less that 5-6 of the schooling fish the only reason we didn't was due to LFS had nothing in stock. All will have friends ASAP.

Here's the latest pictures still working on tank

Front
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417837830.811133.jpg

Left sideImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417837910.996519.jpg
Right side
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417837946.371539.jpg

Rams seem to be adjusting any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like fish pie?

I don't like fish pie?

See what I did there;) you said Bavarian rams hehe.. seriously though. . Is the tank currently cycling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes . I used media from established tank as well as added fish.

Awful expensive way to do a fish-in cycle..just sayin

There's a few places to buy them from and there's one place not to. Quality over quantity is what you're ultimately looking for. Stendker's are probably the best all around. A tank that size I would only do adults. It's way to big to do anything smaller and just be a waste of water in the end.

As for filtration, I'm a canister guy. Fluval is my choice. For that size I would look at the FX6. All sponge and bio media and no carbon.

Tank mates could be a variety of things. Nothing that's fast. Discus like peaceful friends. Tetras (cardinals, not neons) GBR's, a Pleco.

What are your plans to break up line of sight in the tank ? Do you have experience with live plants ? If not I would suggest fake as trying to conquer two different things at once is not optimal, especially when learning Discus.

Thank for the information treemanone!

Funny you mentioned the FX6. While in Nashville today ( 3 hour drive to go to a great fish store Aquatic critters) we went by Petsmart to get some water conditioner I looked at the FX6 I couldn't believe the price I got it for $242.99 .

While at aquatic critters we picked up some nice plants and fish.
12 cardinal
2 Farlowella
1 banjo cat ( have that are over 10yrs old)
6 rummy nose
All fish were acclimated using the drip method ( 1st time in 20 years of keeping fish?)
Went ahead and did about 15 - 20% water change since FX6 took water level so far down. I plan to leave the Fluval 306 on the tank for a few weeks since I started the tank with it. Hopefully that will give the FX6 time to get some good stuff in it.

Here are a few pictures of the set-up so far please throw more advice my way.

A few questions I have are:

How many grown Discus should I put once tank has been up for awhile?

What size Discus is considered grown?

Would you add all Discus at once or half and half?

What can I do to bring my hardness down? Currently GH 150, ALK 180, PH 7.4
We are thinking about getting a water purification system and mix with tap water Good idea?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417944174.014472.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417944197.095322.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417944218.046285.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417944246.040560.jpg

Awful expensive way to do a fish-in cycle..just sayin

I know but we have been very blessed with our fish keeping capabilities. Before we started reading these forums we would tear our tanks down and completely clean them only saving the filter media for one day then change them out as well. With 0 fish lose ( yes we have had fish die). Over the years we've had cory cat spawning ( of course the eggs were being eaten almost as fast as they were laid. I have even raised mollies and Guppys that was a feat in itself ( just kidding)?

So I know we are taking a chance with a new setup but we have some very happy fish going by their actions and coloration.

I hope things keep going this well!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom