Outdoor breeding challange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come for all the aggravation of those floating plants I think we all deserve to see you sitting in that pool with the fish enjoying a frosty adult beverage!

Well I finally got everything together and running. The tempature is sitting at 68 and dipped down to 55 this morning, I think it will be ready for fish soon.

The plant stock is:
-Water sprite (Floating)
- Java Fern " Narrow and Standard"
- Vallisneria americana
- Dwarf Lilly Bulb
- Aponogeton sp. ?
- Pennywort
- Salvinia Cucullata (floating)

img_2519241_0_5def7e35b46ab2bb7e7acf7b2e2c0bba.jpg

img_2519241_1_f3e24cb005c0445685e8050685ce5495.jpg

That is really cool looking, to bad the pool is so ugly! Maybe if this works a pond is in order in that same spot? That way I can live through yours since I'd have to move in your garage if I start digging:(

Last edited:
That is really cool looking, to bad the pool is so ugly! Maybe if this works a pond is in order? That way I can live through yours since I'd have to move in your garage if I start digging:(

That's the part I don't like either but I couldn't make a permanent pond this year. Hopefully when we get a house I can set up a few ponds that I can leave out year round and put my fish out every summer.

Sorry I forgot about that. I can't wait to see updated pictures with fry. Are you going to plant it more? Or maybe add some stone piles?

There's a bunch of plants in those black baskets that will really start to grown in here pretty quick. I chose all fast growing and easy to care for plants so they should all fill in pretty quickly and be a nice jungle.

I didn't plan on adding rock piles but now that you mention it, that sounds like a great idea. I'll do that tomorrow I've got a bunch of rocks in a cooler at home that I collected.

I did put in crushed coral since ill most likely be adding livebearers.

Everyone thinks those products suck but in my experience there are quite a few like Dr.Tims and Safestart work very well. Sounds like its going well then, good luck.

I agree, I think as long as they bacteria has a shelf life and its refrigerated it should work pretty well. I had never heard of that brand before but my buddy knows his stuff and I trust him to only bring in quality stuff into his shop so I picked it up and it was only $23.

Well if it works out I will buy some of those blues, and the mixteco fry! I've got a 40 breeder that just has 12 buenes aires tetras waiting for some new roommates.

Well if it works out I will buy some of those blues, and the mixteco fry! I've got a 40 breeder that just has 12 buenes aires tetras waiting for some new roommates.

I am going to have to separate a pair into a 40 breeder because I am not having much luck raising the fry artificially and there's to many hungry mouths into the main tank. However I haven't tried separating the fry into the 10 since I've added gravel, they weren't doing to well with a bare bottom.

Did more work on my pond, added:

- 10 X. variatus "Blue"
img_2520424_0_9d8aee790b75636bb359ad3fe6e0d8c4.jpg

img_2520424_1_03d212e200ac51337579334cbb7ff35d.jpg

- Various rock piles some with java moss attached
-What I call "Shrimp and Fry rocks" that I make out of fish safe oven baked clay.
img_2520424_2_38eb45cfbb1d5a7057f58e19637cdaf5.jpg

-Indian Almond Leafs to grow bio film on them for the fry to eat
- Skuds and daphnia from my shrimp tanks.

img_2520424_3_d0cacd857f415c6f5b2b1b385d356f43.jpg

Looking good! Are you thinking about a net overtop still? Or at least until the plants grow in?

I'm thinking that the fish maybe small enough to avoid being detected especially with all the cover I've added. I may put on netting later in the week if I get to uneasy about it,

I'm thinking that the fish maybe small enough to avoid being detected especially with all the cover I've added. I may put on netting later in the week if I get to uneasy about it,

I'd highly consider a net. If you have neighborhood raccoons, once they discover a free meal, this project is over.

Back
Top Bottom