Outdoor guppy breeding this summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just buried a 25 gallon plant container in the ground and lined it with some 2.5 mil plastic. I plan on keeping a few trios of guppies in it after it warms up to tropical temps.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and what kind of results/setbacks they experienced. Ive been keeping fish for 7 years and this is my first outdoor attempt. I plan on adding a small pump with a fountain attachment to keep the water cool during the dog days. I hope that the circulation doesn't stop mosquitos from laying their eggs in it as I hope to be self sufficent with the food sources.
I'm also going to put in a bunch of ghost shrimp and hope they breed as well. Please share thoughts on this. I know I cant winter them outside and will have to bring them all back in. I hope to be able to sell them in bulk to a store or on aquabid.

are you planning to bury yours too? I figure the temps would be uncontrollable without the help of the ground. I also put mine in a mostly shaded area and will place a half cover (southside) to give the guppies a shady place to go. I plan on placing water hyacinth in it to allow the babies places to go.
I dont think I will get any larve from the bugs if I have a fountain pump in it but Im really worried about oxygenation. I dont know that the hyacinth will provide enough for 20-30 (or more) guppies.

A water hyacinth anc partial cover a good itdea, I used hyincth last year in my 20 gallon pond and it did well. Don't cover to much of the pond, the plant needs enough light. Duck weed also helps it filters out the sun and keeps the pond a bit cooler. Both the hyacinth and duckweed will help keep the water balanced. The fountain pump will move the duckweed and i'm not sure iff or how much it would get stuck to the fountain. The hyicinth will mucltiply, you can either give some away to responsible people or let it dry out, freeze it or at least put it into a well sealed plastic bag before you throw it out, It's an invasive plant and can wrech havoc in local waterways.

I have a fire pit that can take care of it. I thought about duckweed and I am still wondering. Im mainly wondering if I need a fountain pump at all. I figure if the water isnt oxygenated enough it wont support good breeding.

I posted a similar question on one of the local fish club forums. They are saying they don't use any water movement - allowing the plants to provide for the fish. They used peace lily, duckweed, salvinia, etc

I didn't have water movement last year, but may try it this year. My concern is that the warmer the water the less oxegen it holds. I put fish in mine already and have an algae bloom. Most likely because the plants I have in there for now aren't growing due to the pretty cold water.

It will prolly be the end of the month or later before I get to put mine in there. it was nice all week and now its frost advisory tonight...

Back
Top Bottom