Outer orbit Vs. Aqualight Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJCRIC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, Well I am one of those suckers who couldn't wait to get started and just bought the cheaper PC's instead of saving the money and going with MH's from the start. I have had my set up for about 2 years now and I wanted to upgrade to MH. I have a 125g with about 120lb of live rock but I plan to get about 40-50 more lb. Anyway, it is 72" long and 24" deep tank. I have been looking at some of the new setups out there and I have found 2 that have caught my eye. The Aqualight pro 72" with 3-150W MH and 4-96W PC's it also comes with 4 lunar lights. The other is the Outer orbits 72" also comes with 3-150W and 4-96W pc's and it comes with 8 lunars. I have seen both brands in action but not both of the 72" in action, of the 2 brands the outer orbits looked nicer at dusk (maybe the extra 4 lunars). Any ideas what one is the way to go? Also this will give me about 6.6 wpg I have read you need 5 wpg to keep clams and sps's happy is 6.6 to much? I am looking for something I can use stands to hold up, I don't really want to hang them from the ceiling if I don't have to. All ideas are welcome. thanks.

The Coralife company will win for customer service, hands down. Otherwise, it is pretty much a horse a peice. I believe both come with mounting legs. It should give you enough light to have some SPS corals and clams.

How much light would I need to be able to do what ever I want as far a corals go.

The type of lighting is really more important then the amount. MH lighting will give you pretty good penetration, but at 150watt/bulb, keep your higher light species toward the top of the tank.

I have the 20" aqualight pro on my 30G cube and it is uber quality, not to mention it just looks cool as he*l on top of a tank. Its just an awesome little fixture. As far as it being awesome for a 125G tank, thats another story. I have no doubt it will make your tank very bright and attractive, however I tend to fall in with lando that 3X150W is "sufficient" to keep demanding species if properly positioned, but you'll need a bump to 3X250 or 3X400 to have anything you want, where you want, that grows how you want it to.

I have the Coralife 24" 150HQI w/2 x 65w 03 over a 29G frag tank. Its been a smart buy as far as I am concerned. I've never had to call customer service, so I wouldn't know, but maybe thats a testimony in of itself.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom