Over filtering? Ugf & hob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over filtering? UGF & HOB?

I recently purchased a recycled 29 gallon which included an UGF setup with two powerheads.

One of the power heads is an Aquaclear 402 (50), the other is a Profile 601.

From my research, the Aquaclear 402 appears to be a very stout powerhead. The Profile appears to be of much less quality bordering on junk.

I want to proceed with setting up the tank, but I'm in the middle of mindset battle over the filtering system and options..

My initial thought was to remove the UGF and add an Aquaclear 50 HOB.

I went to the LFS today and noticed that every tank in the place was running UGF's.

After reading about the Aquaclear powerhead I thought about leaving the UGF (run with just the Aquaclear powerhead) and adding the HOB.

Would I be overfiltering and is there such an animal?

From what I have learned the AC 50 HOB would do fine by itself, maybe I should use just the HOB and use the UGF on a spare tank I have as a quarntine tank?

Now here is ANOTHER OPTION: If I add the HOB should I go with the 70 series instead of the 50? I think I will upgrade my tank eventually to a 55 gallon and if I purchase the 70 now I would not have to purchase another filter if/when I upgrade. The 70 series is only about $14.00 more than the 50 series... Would the 70 series be overfiltering this 29 gallon tank?

Websters, your direction and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Yours Truly, Thegundog.........

Last edited:
the aquaclear powerhead 50, has a reverse flow function!
this is very effective for undergravel filters.
That coupled with a HOB aquaclear is a good combination.

I don't think you will be overfiltering with a HOB + UGF.

Back
Top Bottom