over filtering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With a protein skimmer i believe it is possible but not with any mechanical filtration

sigh.. ive heard too many stories about over skimming and really its not a realistic concern. Unless you are completely exhausting the nitrate sourcing and nitrification process then you dont need to worry about it. There's enough detritus and particulate in the tank to usually sustain it. Im not gona get into a big skimming vs over skimming battle i just know whats realistic and overskimming should be the least of any aquarists worries.

The biggest concern for over-skimming is for people with small tanks because skimmer will remove trace elements that the tank needs and it is possuble to deplete them rather rapidly in a small tank

i have a 15 gallon. how will i know if im over skimming. because right now i have it running really light. and it wont over flow into the dish. but im also not growing that much algea on my glass so its good.

skimmer will remove trace elements that the tank needs

First of all, the amount of trace elements that "could" be removed is very small. Also there is no conclusive evidence that trace elements are even caputured during skimming. Water changes remove more trace elements than a skimmer. ARG but here i am making the argument again when i said i wouldnt. :)

hehe not to argue or anything LOL but when you change water you put the trace elements back right?

biotoxin said:
First of all, the amount of trace elements that "could" be removed is very small. Also there is no conclusive evidence that trace elements are even caputured during skimming. Water changes remove more trace elements than a skimmer. ARG but here i am making the argument again when i said i wouldnt. :)
The skimmer does indeed remove trace elements and a study was conducted with measurable results. See here...
Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek

possum said:
hehe not to argue or anything LOL but when you change water you put the trace elements back right?
Correct. Trace elemnts are replenished via what is contained in the saltmix. Nutrient is exported when doing a water change.

Cheers
Steve

ok i stand corrected on the trace element issue but i still firmly believe that it doesnt remove enough to be detrimental to a tank, even a nano of which i currently run 2.

True. If anything the benefits far outweigh the negatives IMO. The amount of trace elements exported is not that great depending on the efficiencey of the skimmer vs the size of the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom