Overflow drain noise, advice needed please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rluka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have just started a new 75G with 40G sump, I'm using the megaflow overflow kit which comes with a durso drain, I'm using a 700gph return pump. There is a lot of noise coming from the water falling from the drain to the sump, and submersing the drain tube inside the sump causes a lot of bubbling noise.
Any ideas on how to reduce the noise level to the minimum?

Thanks

Put an elbow on the bottom of the drain and it should quiet down alot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Tobykourtney,
So do you suggest to submerse the elbow under the water? Or leave it at the surface?

I run mine submerged with an elbow but I'm only running 150-200 gph through my sump though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I put a ballcock valve on mine between the overflow and sump. Works well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I put a ballcock valve on mine between the overflow and sump. Works well

I have the ball valve on already, so do you mean that I use it to reduce the flow? what about the risk of clogging?

Thanks for the reply

Yes. I shut the valve a little at a time till the noise stopped and its been fine ever since. Unless a critter gets in there it should be fine. Mine has run this way for about a year now with no issues.

Yes. I shut the valve a little at a time till the noise stopped and its been fine ever since. Unless a critter gets in there it should be fine. Mine has run this way for about a year now with no issues.

Great!
I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Cool.....Let me know how you make out.

Well, reducing the flow through the valve did the trick, however, I will still install the elbow as I think I need to reduce the splashing. The vaporization rate is quite high, I'm topping up daily with about 4-5 litters, is that normal?!
Another thing, I have just found a yellowish green fuzz on the glass, tubes, and in the sand, below are some pictures. Any idea what would that be?
My tests are all zeros and there are 4 chromis damsels, one royal gramma, 2 peppermint and a bunch of snails.

Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398524969.305856.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398524994.959409.jpg

Glad to hear you reduced the overflow noise. Your evaporation rate seems OK....I lose about 1 gallon per day. It your tank covered? Not sure about the fuzz on the glass though........some sort of algae maybe.

Back
Top Bottom