Overstocked 10 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esl97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a ten gallon tank that currently houses 5 neon tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 1 dalmation molly, and 1 sunburst platy. I wasn't planning on getting this many fish, but i was forced to increase the school size for the neons. I know the serpaes are known to be aggressive, but i have had no problem with mine. Just wondering if I am overstocked? I do a 20-30% change weekly. If needed, i can move the neons to a separate aquarium, or give some to my sister. Thanks! :)

esl97 said:
Hi, I have a ten gallon tank that currently houses 5 neon tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 1 dalmation molly, and 1 sunburst platy. I wasn't planning on getting this many fish, but i was forced to increase the school size for the neons. I know the serpaes are known to be aggressive, but i have had no problem with mine. Just wondering if I am overstocked? I do a 20-30% change weekly. If needed, i can move the neons to a separate aquarium, or give some to my sister. Thanks! :)

I would say so yes!

The neons need more swimming room than a 10gal can provide IMO.

Same for the serpea.

i'd say get remove/rehome the serpaes, remove the neons, neons are waaaaayyyy too active for a 10G, maybe as a QT they will be fine, but not permanently, rehome the molly, and you can leave the platy.........

Mumma.of.two said:
You are a bit. I would say move the molly and the serpaes because they don't belong in a small tank. IMO neons are fine in a 10g.

I second this. Neons are perfectly fine in a 10, they have lots of swimming room relative to their size

what if I left the neons and platy and moved the serpaes and molly?

Sounds good and I would add like 10 ghost shrimp for a cleanup crew.

Back
Top Bottom