Overstocked? 29 planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29 gallon eheim 2213, dense 65% planted, I water change weekly.

3 Bolivian rams
8 CPDs
8 harlequin rasbora
5 praecox rainbows
5 otos

Lots of activity. Should I upgrade filters?

I think you're fine, you're slightly overstocked but nothing massive. As long as the fish get along and the water parameters are OK and you're maintance routine is good I'd say you're ok. Just watch the bolivians with the smaller fish, bolivians can get aggressive when they mate.

Agreed with all of the above - I wouldn't add much more, but I wouldn't call it overstocked.

Well, I am considering adding a single apisto.. I can't seem to get over the urge to buy more fish... I'm 8 months into this hobby, and I've already rehomed and restocked The entire tank once!

I guess I could do this when or if the Bolivian rams pair up..

One of my rams currently is defending a rock, nipping at the praecox rainbows that for some reason are hovering near... I added the rainbows a couple of days ago, so this behavior is new.. Maybe they feel cramped, maybe they are gonnna breed?

I just need a nudge either way on the single apistos, thanks!

I think you could get away with adding one. Apistos can be a little more sensitive compared to some of your other fish in regards to water quality - so regular water changes would be a must.

That being said, it might not be a bad idea to wait. Your tank is pretty well stocked. Depending on how long the tank has been established, waiting might be the best option.

Yeah I think I'm gonna wait, but my LFS just got a big shipment of apistos... Must resist... at least until my filter adjusts to the rainbows.

The tank has been up about 8 months now. I dose EI so Im pretty religious about the water change. Maybe I'll rehome my harlequins... Ahhh need more tanks!! Multiple tanks in the living room ok ? ;)

Absolutely :)

If you are doing EI and the tank has been established 8 months, I think you could add a single apisto once the rainbows are settled in.

Back
Top Bottom