Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonserviamgr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey... I got one 100L tank. I got a black veil angelfish, a gold gourami, 8 cory catfish, one albino ancistrus, one betta, 4 black skirt tetra and a Synodontis Euterus. Is my tank overstocked?

Wouldn't the black skirt tetras nip at the angelfish and the betta?

Nope... They dont even touch them. The black skirt tetras are too small and too peaceful for this ;) The only problem is Gourami chases the Black skirt tetra a bit sometimes.. The Angelfish and the tetra are good friends ;D

definitely dont add anymore fish, but i think you'll be ok where you are. i'd keep up on the water changes and you may need to watch the two big cats

hmmm? 2 big cats? you mean the Syno euterus? I got one and it seems very peaceful, mostly comes out only when the lights are off

I also don't understand mfd's comment. You don't have 2 of anything in the tank that get big, so he might have misread your original stocking level.

Stocking level is one of those grey areas. The most important rule is water changes. If you are doing them frequently and in large enough amount there is very little limitation other than fish compatibility and size. But few people are willing to do 50% water changes every day, every other day, etc. and so there are general rules of thumb.

Easiest way to find out your stocking level is with a good liquid reagent test kit such as Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API for short). By testing nitrAte levels you can find out if you are willing to deal with a higher bioload through the use of live plants and more frequent water changes. Obviously if these are not mature fish expect higher bioload as they grow, but it's the best way IMO to judge when a tank is over/under stocked.

sorry, thought there were two featherfins, but what i meant is that you should just keep an eye on it in case it shows any aggression towards any of the other fish. Theyre not generally aggressive, but if it got to be 8" in a 30g tank, it could be.

If you do indeed have a Synodontis Eupterus then I would say you are overstocked. If not now, you will be once he/she grows up. They can grow to well over a foot long! I bought one under false pretenses and I had to re-home him quite a few times until he finally got to his tank where he is now, a 120g cichlid tank. They are rambunctious fish that would constantly uproot my plants and knock things over. No fault of the fish, just too big!

Just keep that in mind as a ~26 gallon tank will not be able to house all those fish when they reach adulthood.

Hi, I am contemplating adding new fish to my 180 gallon tank. I currently have 5 tiger barbs, 7 red tail barbs(avg 4 in), 4 gouramis, 1 large pleco(8-10 inch), 1 catfish(4 inch), 1 bala shark(4 in), 2 silver dollars(half dollar size). Am I overstocked at this point? Would I be crazy to add a couple or one red belly pacu? They have my eye now and I am tempted to buy them. For a filter I have a wet dry that holds 5 gallon bucket worth of bio balls. I am thinking of also getting an xp4

if its a 180 gallon tank, you're not overstocked by any means... but i wouldnt get a pacu... i've seen pictures of them that were just ridiculously huge, like they wouldnt fit in your tank from bottom to top.

Yeah i saw one in the store yesterday and it was huge. It was also sad since it was in a very small tank. They are such a neat looking fish that I thought it would fit perfect with what I have so far. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.:)

Hey... I got one 100L tank. I got a black veil angelfish, a gold gourami, 8 cory catfish, one albino ancistrus, one betta, 4 black skirt tetra and a Synodontis Euterus. Is my tank overstocked?
Just one thing the gourami and the betta might show agression towards each other...

Back
Top Bottom