Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have a 90L tank, with the following:

• 4 x Platy
  • 1 x Pleco (although this is going back to the LFS as it's grown to about 4")
  • 3 x Cory
  • 2 x Bolivian Ram
  • 6 x Neon Tetras
  • 1 x Male Betta
I am doing 30% water changes once a week and the levels all look fine, but some of the platys and rams are jouviniles at the mo...

Is this overstocked for a 90 Litre?

Thanks
Henry

Tough call without knowing filtration and water change scheduales

I'd say yes because of the platys. Youll want to get a few more corys to strengthen that group, and maybe get rid on 1-2 platys

Its a Fluval U2 filter which came with the Fluval 90L tank.

I do 30% water changes once a week.

I was hopinh to get at least one more cory (one of the reasons why I wondered if i'm already overstocked).

I don't know if the LFS will take back any of the platys, They're only taking the pleco back as they told me it wouldn't grow past 3" (which i founf out shorty afterwards was a complete lie, so they said as soon as it gets too big they'd take him back).

If i keep up with 30% PWC a week wioll this be ok if I add another cory?

I'd say once you get rid of the pleco, get another 2 corys and up it to 40% a week. Thats not hard since its only about a 20 gallon tank really.

yeah I do 3 x 10L buckets a week so anotehr bucket full isn't going to be the end of the world...

Thanks for your help!

My Julii Cories often seem to hold their whiskers under their chins. Plus they seem to have much smaller whiskers than my other cories so I wouldn't be panicking just yet. As Gboyy66 asks though, what's your substrate?

On another note, one of my Julies appears to have lost its whiskers... Is this normal?

No. Check your nitrates and check for sharp objects in the tank. I have three very happy julii corys in my 29 gallon tank and they use their whiskers constantly. Their whiskers are very easy to see.

It's gravel sub-strate, and it's definitely missing its whiskers.

There's nothing sharp in the tank, I've had him for over a month and have 2 other corys which I've had for a year now and they're both fine - ?

I have rounded gravel substrate and it is no problem. With the others being fine, I doubt it is that. Same with the nitrates, though it never hurts to check that. That leaves it to disease or injury from another source. Just keep the water pristine unless you see some signs of something you can treat. Clean water is the best cure. Best wishes. I hope the little guy heals up.

Back
Top Bottom