Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K so I have my 55g tank that's all cycled and what not. I have one canister filter that cycles the tank water 5 times per hour and one HOB filter that cycles the tank water 5 times per hour. grand total the tank water is cycled 10 times per hour. Tank is heavily planted. Ok so I wanna know if I'm overstocked bc I have heard schooling fish can bend the typical stocking rules a bit. Here's a list of everything in the tank.

1 male opaline gourami
3 female opaline gourami
1 rubber lip pleco
4 spotted Cory cats
6 red glass rosy barbs
12 tiger barbs
2 gold inca snails?
2 ouachita map turtles (hatchlings).

Everything is going to go in the 135g tank I'm getting later this year. Already have the deal set up I just am waiting to move. But if the 55g they are all in right now is overstocked I have a few other tanks to spread the fish out so no worries about having no homes for them, but I just like the look of the tank now and would like to keep it this way but not at the risk of their Health, also the fish and turtles are fed every other day on alternating days. Let me know what you think and preferably nicely lol I know some ppl get rather angry when they post so just let me say right now; if there's a problem lemme know and I'll fix it.

umm.. do you have a UV lamp for the turtles?
and do you have a "land" or floating area they can get onto... those are the biggest concerns i have

besides the fact i dont think its recommend to house turtles with fish unless the fish are food

also i know that turtles are VERY messy.

i personally would suggest having separate tanks for your turtles and fish

here is a link i think you should read
http://www.tortoisehome.org/files/MAP_TURTLE_CARESHEET.pdf

if the turtles werent in the tank you wouldnt be over stocked.. no.... but with the turtles you have more issues on your hands than you may think (im sorry if im making assumptions here, just trying to help, and look out for the well being of all animals involved)

side note: ive always wanted a turtle :) they seem awesome

rreekers said:
and do you have a "land" or floating area they can get onto... those are the biggest concerns i have

besides the fact i dont think its recommend to house turtles with fish unless the fish are food

if the turtles werent in the tank you wouldnt be over stocked.. no.... but with the turtles you have more issues on your hands than you may think (im sorry if im making assumptions here, just trying to help, and look out for the well being of all animals involved)

Nicely put, I do think there is a little to many fish in your aquarium. However, turtles in this style aquarium is not a good idea. I'm assuming you have your tank completely filled to the top. This would bring the turtles to close to your lighting system. Turtles require a full spectrum fluorescent light in order to build their shell and none health. Without this they will get shell rot and other desieses. IMO opinion this is not a good idea, for the safety of the turtles.

rreekers said:

Yes I have a DIY turtle topper I made for the turtles. If u want to see the setup it's on my aquarium turtle advice thread. There's a heat lamp and UVB lamp on the top land area and also a UVB light that shines into the tank on one half that the turtle topper covers. They have a good setup for themselves. But otherwise the fish aren't overstocked then?

Readingexcalibur said:
Nicely put, I do think there is a little to many fish in your aquarium. However, turtles in this style aquarium is not a good idea. I'm assuming you have your tank completely filled to the top. This would bring the turtles to close to your lighting system. Turtles require a full spectrum fluorescent light in order to build their shell and none health. Without this they will get shell rot and other desieses. IMO opinion this is not a good idea, for the safety of the turtles.

The question was about stocking. I've already got the turtles covered. Refer to my 2nd post for info on turtles setup and pics there if concerned. The turtle thread is not completely updated with new plants and what not but you get the idea of the setup. Thanks for the info. I jould have posted more info about the turtles if the re was going to be so much concern but the question was about stocking lol.

jkdubs2 said:
The question was about stocking. I've already got the turtles covered. Refer to my 2nd post for info on turtles setup and pics there if concerned. The turtle thread is not completely updated with new plants and what not but you get the idea of the setup. Thanks for the info. I jould have posted more info about the turtles if the re was going to be so much concern but the question was about stocking lol.

Cool, yeah, sometimes a flag gets thrown up when animal welfare (may) be in question. I see that you are set up for your turtles decently. I assumed we were answering your question considering the turtles count as your stock and have a massive bioload. This wpuld affect your fish stock greatly. I did however find your turtle post and see what your doing with the whole system.

Readingexcalibur said:
Cool, yeah, sometimes a flag gets thrown up when animal welfare (may) be in question. I see that you are set up for your turtles decently. I assumed we were answering your question considering the turtles count as your stock and have a massive bioload. This wpuld affect your fish stock greatly. I did however find your turtle post and see what your doing with the whole system.

Yes they would count as stock I agree. The turtles are about 1 inch shell length. They do have a good bio load on them but their size at the moment doesn't affect my water params any more than having the pleco or gouramis does right now. Also like I said the whole tank is going to be upgraded later this year into a 135g as I originally planned on only one turtle but got a deal on the two. So they will be upgraded well before size becomes an issue. Also the fish are with them now and are there bc some turtles raised with fish do fine with them as long as they are faster or bigger than the turtles. If safety of the fish does become an issue obviously the tank will be remodeled livestock wise. But with the filtration and feeding schedule the way it is and all things considered do you believe the stocking is an issue?

You should be fine for now, but that 135 gallon is going to be awesome. Btw, I like how your turtle ramp is built.

Readingexcalibur said:
You should be fine for now, but that 135 gallon is going to be awesome. Btw, I like how your turtle ramp is built.

Thanks I worked hard on designing the whole thing to get rid of typical problems commercial toppers have. And yeah I'm pumped about the 135. It'll be an awesome setup. I appreciate the advice on the turtles and fish stock. I didn't want the turts or fish to be unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom