Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ten gallon tank has a betta fish, two small nerite snails, and two medium-sized panda garras. I'd like to get some neon tetras, and form what I've seen online, six is the minimum school number.

So, can I-
-Add six tetras to my tank and not be overstocked?
-Have five instead, if not six?

Thanks!

I'd recommend upgrading to something larger like a 20-30 gallon as your panda garras would be much happier in something that size. Then if you were to upgrade, you could get a school of 6+ neons! Bioload wise I'd say you're not overstocked but space wise, panda garras tend to get fairly large so a roomier tank is always better!

_drago_ I've had them for a couple years, and they're only around and inch and a half long. Will they get larger? If not, do you think it would be okay to get some neons?

If they haven't grown it's due to stunting in a small tank. I'd move the Panda Garras to a 20Long or larger.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-flavatra/

Then I'd decide on suitable tank mates for a Betta. I keep mine alone or with snails. I think a 10g is on the small side for Neons to move around. I've done it. But seeing mine in a large group in a bigger tank has swayed me to recommending 20g or larger for them.

There are micro Rasboras or CPDs but not sure how they'd do with a predatory Betta.

If they haven't grown it's due to stunting in a small tank. I'd move the Panda Garras to a 20Long or larger.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-flavatra/

Then I'd decide on suitable tank mates for a Betta. I keep mine alone or with snails. I think a 10g is on the small side for Neons to move around. I've done it. But seeing mine in a large group in a bigger tank has swayed me to recommending 20g or larger for them.

There are micro Rasboras or CPDs but not sure how they'd do with a predatory Betta.
I agree a 20 for neons and garras. Need the larger footprint.

Back
Top Bottom