Overstocking and Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank that is really overstocked. I dont even want to post what I have :( anyway, im in the process of upgrading and am halfway thru fishless cycling the new tank.

So my question.. In my current overstocked tank my ammonia and nitrites are always zero, but my nitrates are almost impossible to keep below 40 even with daily water changes. Im assuming this is because of being overstocked, correct? Can most fish handle this for another week or two until the new tank is ready with daily water changes? All my fish are very hardy beginner fish. The only one I'm worried about is the bolivian ram.

Correct. The high nitrates could be from overstock. It could also be because the water you use from the tap could contain high amounts of nitrates. Test your water from the tap.
Those nitrates are very, very high. Why can't you continue the daily PWCs while fishless cycling your other tank?

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost certainly because you're overstocked and unfortunately it's impossible to know, nitrAtes tend to kill fish slowly but at such high rates you could lose the tank.

My nitrates from the tap are zero. I am doing water changes until the fishless cycling was done. I really was just wondering if the high nitrates were from overstocking. I thought they were. Just wanted to be sure.

If no nitrates from tank, then It is extremely likely just from overstocking.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make sure you are gravel vacuuming under decorations when you do water changes, debris can accumulate under them and cause high nitrates even if you are doing water changes. Also try only feeding every other day, and only a small amount.
I have had nitrates higher than that before. Your fish will be fine for a few days, especially if they are hardy beginner fish. Just get them in their new home ASAP, but acclimate them gradually. Moving from a tank with high nitrates to one with zero nitrates can be just as stressful as sudden changes in pH or temperature.

The rams are the only ones I'd worry about, since they tend to be more sensitive to nitrates than others... Bolivians are the most hardy of the rams though, so they should be ok with daily changes. It's better for them to be dealing with higher nitrates than it is for them to go through the cycling spikes, so don't feel like you need to rush the cycle. If possible, add some floating plants or some other nitrate sponge plant (Green Hygro, Hornwort, Anacharis, all work well at this) and they'll tend to help mitigate the nitrate issue in the meantime.

What is overstocked, how many fish and what type in the tank? Tank size?
Just curious.

Im curious what you have as well lol in my experience most fish can cope with nitrates for alittle bit. The ram is the only one I would worry about.

Clean your filter. Removing solid debris from the tank before it can break down (anything in the filter has to be considered in the tank) will slow the rise of nitrates, by preventing their formation.

High Nitrates

I have a tank that is really overstocked. I dont even want to post what I have :( anyway, im in the process of upgrading and am halfway thru fishless cycling the new tank.

So my question.. In my current overstocked tank my ammonia and nitrites are always zero, but my nitrates are almost impossible to keep below 40 even with daily water changes. Im assuming this is because of being overstocked, correct? Can most fish handle this for another week or two until the new tank is ready with daily water changes? All my fish are very hardy beginner fish. The only one I'm worried about is the bolivian ram.

Hello Hul...

Didn't check the previous posts concerning your question, but most aquarium fish have no problem tolerating nitrates as high as 50 ppm. This is a "short term" tolerance, though. If you're removing and replacing half the tank water every week, and have a good assortment of floating plants in the tank, then there's certainly time to make changes without harm to your fish.

B

I'm surprised no one has thrown this in yet?? You have a mature filter? Cycling a new tank? Add some media to the new tank! As long as mature filter has been running for a few months, in a overstocked tank you prob have some great bb! Get that puppy cycle;) move fishies..

I'm surprised no one has thrown this in yet?? You have a mature filter? Cycling a new tank? Add some media to the new tank! As long as mature filter has been running for a few months, in a overstocked tank you prob have some great bb! Get that puppy cycle;) move fishies..

We.are.all.stupid. lol seriously though throw that filter onto the new tank and done!

Back
Top Bottom