Overstocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all...my first post here. Please be gentle

I want to rescape my 29 gallon with dirt. Would it be ok to house all my fish in my 20 long for a few weeks while my 29 cycles? My 20 long is moderately planted. If I do this I would have
10 harlequin Raspboras
6 albino Cherry Barbs
4 dwarf neon rainbows
3 glow light tetras
2 plecos
And some shrimp and snails

Thanks in advance

Hi all...my first post here. Please be gentle

I want to rescape my 29 gallon with dirt. Would it be ok to house all my fish in my 20 long for a few weeks while my 29 cycles? My 20 long is moderately planted. If I do this I would have
10 harlequin Raspboras
6 albino Cherry Barbs
4 dwarf neon rainbows
3 glow light tetras
2 plecos
And some shrimp and snails

Thanks in advance

Welcome! :welcome:

Honestly I don't think that you'd have an issue with that as long as it is only for a few weeks and you keep up with the PWCs.

I think it would be alright just temporarily, just be sure to keep up on your water changes and that you have a good filter
Edit: HaHa posted as the same time as you and pretty much said the same thing

I think it would be alright just temporarily, just be sure to keep up on your water changes and that you have a good filter
Edit: HaHa posted as the same time as you and pretty much said the same thing

Great minds think a like;)

Thanks for the replies. I should have also added that I can add an extra HOB to the 20 gallon for that time as well

Let me add to make sure just to test the water. Some times, too much bio load in such a confined space can cause the bacteria to be overloaded, possibly killing it. Just try to test it every two days or so. If these are Common Pleco's, it's gonna be more of a challenge.

The rest was already said. Best of Luck to you!

With a highly stocked tank just be ready to do 2 water changes weekly. I seriously overstocked my 29g tank and it was a bit of a chore to keep the nitrates down to safe levels.

Yes, the plecos are a concern of mine. Would it be cruel to house one in a bucket with his favorite driftwood and an airstone?

I was afraid someone would ask me that. I'm not sure to be honest. The one in my 29 gallon is sorta big, maybe 4 inches or so. Super friendly and very mellow. The one in my 20 is much smaller and very timid. I rarely see him. Maybe tonite I will take pics and post them and you guys can help me identify them

Are you using the same filter in there?

Are you keeping them out of the 29G tank in case of ammonia spikes from the soil? Otherwise you can put them in whenever you are ready. You will have BB from your old filter pad.

Also if you don't mind waiting a few weeks to rescape, you can add the new filter to the existing tank and get the BB to build up on the pads, I use two pads in my HOB for double the BB action. Build the BB first so you can use the filter pads in a bucket for the pleco with a hob and also on the other tank with the other hob.

Plecos are pretty poopy so you would need to be very very careful.

Yes, I am worried about ammonia spikes. I dirted my 20 gallon about 2 months ago with no ammonia problem but I don't want to take the chance on the 29 gallon. Both aquariums and all 3 filters are established and I would assume full of BB

Yes, I am worried about ammonia spikes. I dirted my 20 gallon about 2 months ago with no ammonia problem but I don't want to take the chance on the 29 gallon. Both aquariums and all 3 filters are established and I would assume full of BB
If you have sufficient cycled filter media and enough GPH for all three established filters, your ammonia shouldn't spike with proper Aquarium Maintain(Water Changes, Gravel Vacuum, Filter Maintenance), and due to the high bio-load, it will take some extra effort, and as said, it will be a harder task if these are common pleco's and might require additional Gravel Vacuuming.
We're waiting for those pictures:)

A bucket MIGHT be okay. But I would suggest that you get a larger rubbermaid container to hold them in instead.

Back
Top Bottom