Overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theratman99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently finished cycling a planted 10 gallon and added a male betta, one ghost shrimp and one mystery snail.
A few weeks later I decided I wanted a few more fish in there so I drafted myself a stock list, I’m pretty sure compatibility and water parameters match up between all of these but correct me if I’m wrong.

1 male betta
6 ember tetras
3 panda corys
1 mystery snail
3 red crystal shrimp

Is this too much?

I would use the stocking calculator on aqadvisor.com to at least get a general idea.

Just plugging your list in puts stock at 84% but there are other issues too. Like shrimp and betta might not be the best combo and I also didn't habe any info on your filter to plug in which would be pertinent info for any stocking questions.

I'd go with pygmy corys rather than panda or any other of the larger ones. Your betta might also kill the shrimp.

The Crystals are most likely going to become snacks for the Betta or Embers

Agreed; you might have better luck with amanos if you want to do shrimp. They get much bigger and are less likely to become snacks.

The Pygmy cories are a good idea too; I had no idea how big non-Pygmy cories got until I saw some full grown ones that had been turned in to a LFS. The pygmys stay small are a lot of fun and you can have more of them in that size tank. (They can be very shy/reclusive in smaller numbers)

Bettas can become stressed by schooling fish. Females Bettas do better in communities with other fish. I thought about ember tetras too, just don’t want to stress my Betta out. Panda Cory’s need a 20 gallon so I’d look into the Pygmy Cory’s instead but you need to get at least 8,. You’d have to chose between the Cory’s or the tetras to not overstock. The Betta could injure the Cory’s if he’s territorial, they’re not aggressive at all so be prepared to move them if the Betta attacks them. If you have gravel I wouldn’t get any Cory’s, they need sand and tons of live or silk plants with no sharp edges. Also, your Betta will likely hunt and kill the shrimp, they’re snacks in the wild. I’ve had shrimp escape and go into the filter, so make sure to have a filter cover and tons of Java moss, a caves and plants for the shrimp to hide and molt. If you’re going to keep a community you need live plants for Betta and other fish as well. Low light ones like anabus, have feen, and crypts are good

Back
Top Bottom