Overwhelmed - How to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goosta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm fairly new to fishkeeping. Currently have a 5 gallon tank with a betta. After moving, I finally have a place to setup a 13 gallon widescreen aquarium that I purchased a while ago. The tank is 24" x 8" x 16" (height). It is setup with artificial plants.

I've been trying to decide how to stock it. After reading through a bunch of posts, I feel more confused than anything. I'm really just trying to figure out what I would be most successful with as a beginner.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with recommendations?

Here is a picture of the tank:
NV6ahak.jpg

Thank you! :)

how about a small school of neons 3-5, small school of glo light tetras 3-5, 3-5 harlequin rasbora, 2 long fin serpae tetra, emperor tetra, I think that would make a beautiful tank.Can't add them all at once, a few at a time. I usually don't add fish unless I clean the tank.

Tetras need schools, there is no way to have all those tetras with the right amount of numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3to5 five are schools, and they are very small so they will fit into the tank just fine. You just cant add all of them at the same time.

5+ are schools, and emperor tetras get 3 inches each. A school of neons or glo lights sure. But not all that is such low numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I much prefer larger schools than smaller schools. Having too many schooling fish in a tank makes it look busy and cluttered. I would suggest a school of 8 either neon tetras or harlequin rasbora. Then look at a centerpiece fish such as a dwarf gourami (if the betta isnt going in this tank)

You can fill out your livestock with some red cherry shrimp and nerite snails.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My betta is staying in the 5 gallon. I really like your suggestion of harlequin rasbora and a dwarf gourami so I think I will go that route. Thanks!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to follow up with another question.

So I started about with 4 Espei Rasbora while my tank was still cycling. Now it's about 6 months later and the tank is cycled and doing well, but I still just have the 4 Espei Rasbora. I finally stopped by the fish store today, as we were in the area, planning to buy 4 more Espei but unfortunately they didn't have any. I did see Black Harlequin Rasbora there which I really liked. I was wondering if they would school with my Espei? I didn't buy any since I wasn't sure.

Still planning to get a dwarf gourami as well.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom