Oxygen in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
air pump and air stones. you don't a great big air pump with a tank that small. you could also try some anachris in that tank if you wanted to also help purify the water but you'll need a pretty bright light to do that.

the first think i'd have to ask, is why do you want that? are your fish showing signs of oxygen deprevation, or are you just worried that could occur? as long as you have good surface aggitation, you'll be fine getting gasses transferred. to literally dissolve O2 into the water you'd need an O2 tank (always a danger) and a reactor. that's not what your question is asking about, is it? so to get more airation (sp?) i would suggest a powerhead that pulls in air through the top (can't be completely submerged) and produces a lot of bubbles. i have a whisper power that creates a huge amount of tiny air bubbles and i think that has helped me keep a very healthy -nonplanted- tank for six years. this thing is solid...six year and i've never had to replace a single part, but i doubt they make this model anymore.

An air stone is not really going to dramatically increase your oxygen content in the water, but it does not hurt. If you have good filtration with surface agitation that will do the trick. Also, as mentioned, plants will help. There are many low-light plant options if you have a standard light hood.

For my 10 gal hex, there is a bio wheel and for fun, I added a curtain of bubbles along the back. Badis love it!

Back
Top Bottom