Oxygen levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay this is kind of a really stupid question. But how do I know if there is enough oxygen in the water. It's a fully planted 36 gallon. The water level is not all the way to the top so there is also oxygen being added by the filter. I've had these fish for over 3 years. I just had three fish die recently so now I am paranoid! It seems like they are having laboured breathing? But I can't tell. They are just opening and closing their mouths. It doesn't really look laboured minus 2 or 3 fish. Anyway here's a pic, let me know what you think! Hahah thanks so much guys.
Oh also the water parameters are good
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
And the temp is around 26 like it always has been. But I turned it down a little now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392964911.917048.jpg

Okay this is kind of a really stupid question. But how do I know if there is enough oxygen in the water. It's a fully planted 36 gallon. The water level is not all the way to the top so there is also oxygen being added by the filter. I've had these fish for over 3 years. I just had three fish die recently so now I am paranoid! It seems like they are having laboured breathing? But I can't tell. They are just opening and closing their mouths. It doesn't really look laboured minus 2 or 3 fish. Anyway here's a pic, let me know what you think! Hahah thanks so much guys.
Oh also the water parameters are good
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
And the temp is around 26 like it always has been. But I turned it down a little now. View attachment 223933

With all those plants and water agitation, the fish are getting plenty of O2. Have you introduced new fish or plants lately? Anything new to the tank?

That's what I thought! Okay haha good. I just added 3 ottos 2 snails and a few plants today. The other fish died before this. Around 2 days ago.

That's what I thought! Okay haha good. I just added 3 ottos 2 snails and a few plants today. The other fish died before this. Around 2 days ago.

It's worrisome when multiple fish die at the same time. If there were no new additions at the time, the easy explanation are:

1. forgot to add dechlor to water before a water change (this happens more often than not)
2. municipal water - sometimes they increase the chlorine and chloramine to flush out the system and it overwhelms your dechlor.

There is no way I forgot to dechlorinate. It is very possible that they added more to the water. Because I did start seeing problems after I did a water change. And then again this week. But when I tested the water, it said 0 chlorine. Is it possible it's not picking it up or?

There is no way I forgot to dechlorinate. It is very possible that they added more to the water. Because I did start seeing problems after I did a water change. And then again this week. But when I tested the water, it said 0 chlorine. Is it possible it's not picking it up or?

After a water change is good clue. The chlorine test must say that it tests for both chlorine and chloramine. Water treatment companies like Culligan may have test supplies.

What decholor do you use? I use Prime at 3x strength every time I change the water just in case the city water floods the system with chemicals. I also pre-filter my water with a 2 stage filter that includes carbon to clean out the water of chemicals, bugs, and rust.

I just use aqua clear. It's 1 ml per gallon for chloramines instead of 5 ml for 10 gallons for just chlorine. Which again I've used for years but now I'm skeptical. I always change between 8 and 10 gallons around every 2 weeks

You are definitely right the test strip is chlorine not chloramine which I know they add.

I just use aqua clear. It's 1 ml per gallon for chloramines instead of 5 ml for 10 gallons for just chlorine. Which again I've used for years but now I'm skeptical. I always change between 8 and 10 gallons around every 2 weeks

Is it a new bottle of dechlor you purchased? It could just be a bad batch. 8 to 10 gallons is small if you have a large tank.

No I've had it for quite a while. It's a 36 gallon.

I thought of another thing. Unless you pre-treat the new water in a bucket, you need to dose dechlor for the entire volume of the tank. You probably know this already. Just trying to rule stuff out.

Yeah I treat the buckets before I add them.

Perhaps, for now, double or triple your dechlor to ensure that you are neutralizing the chlorines in the tank. I've never used this particular dechlor, so read the instruction to ensure that it can be done safely. Check out Prime. It's a powder which never goes bad and lasts FOREVER.

Another issue that I've seen are that aging buckets can "go bad" if you treat the water before you age it. This causes bad bacteria to form in the bucket. This occurs to aquarists who age their water in large barrels which are hard to clean. Again, just trying to rule out stuff.

Bobo, I'm going to sleep now :)

I'll check on this thread tomorrow morning. Good night!

It's my bad I just checked it's nutrafin. Lol whoops. I just checked the expiry too just incase but that's fine.

I fill the buckets from the tap then dechlorinate them and then I add them right away.

I'll make sure I add more dechlor to future water changes. Thanks so much for your help and quick replies!

It's my bad I just checked it's nutrafin. Lol whoops. I just checked the expiry too just incase but that's fine.

I fill the buckets from the tap then dechlorinate them and then I add them right away.

I'll make sure I add more dechlor to future water changes. Thanks so much for your help and quick replies!

You're welcome!

Back
Top Bottom