Oyster type thingy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isobel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found this the other day, it gets underneath the rocks or in larger holes, but never on top of the rocks. It's shell actually looks quite soft almost as if it hasn't fully developed, and is very pearlescent<sp
img_574843_0_9700123498d04e0f2160f9b35729d7f0.jpg

I hope someone can tell me it doesn't eat coraline, or anything else I need in the tank!

This is a mobile critter? How big is it? Looks large it the photo but that can be decieving. It could be an abalone. Or a stomatella varia snail. Doesn't look like something I'd worry about.

Yes it's mobile, and about an inch long. :)

I've just been reading about Abalone. It certainly seems like it could be a black, flat shelled one :) Sadly though it seems as if they are becoming rare :-( It would be great if I had a couple of them!
It's a good job my tank's a reasonable size, they get up to 7.5 inches!

Yes, I have several of the stometella varia and that's what they look like. I described them as snails which only have shells on their backs.

At least they're not harmful :) It makes you wonder how an earth these critters manage to survive on LR after it's been pulled out of the sea!

Well, I was leaning more toward the abalone due to shell shape (looks like a muscle shell) and the lack of tentacles and snout that is normally present and easily seen on a stometella but either way, they are both just grazers. Personally, I've never seen a stometella that big and I have them breeding like mad in my tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom