Painting PVC Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

01n3on

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I built a PVC overflow for my ten gallon back in July and the paint is peeling off. I used Krylon fusion after sanding it with 200 grit sandpaper. How should I go about repainting it? Should I resand it all? I took it off the tank to let it dry real good which I hate doing because I have never had water so crystal clear before (I went from using power filters to a day wet/dry). Have any suggestions?

Sand it all off, re-paint, and let it cure for at least 48 hours, 72+ is best. I've never had an issue with krylon fusion peeling, but I've always cured for 2-3+ days. I've heard lots of people say it peels when they don't let it cure

I let mine dry for 24 hours but was pressed for time to get it in the tank before my family come back from vacation so they wouldn't notice I built it. Less fussing = happiness for me. Would it be better just to rebuild the overflow rather than crape all the paint off?

Might be a lot easier... since PVC is so cheap anyways, and you already have one to build it off of. FWIW, I never sanded mine down before painting either.

I actually just got done removing the paint. It basically just wiped off, I'm guessing BC it has been in the water. The portion that was outside of the water just plain wouldn't budge

Back
Top Bottom