Pair of German Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
To make a long story short, i bought a female GBR and put it in my community tank ( She has a pink belly, blue on the black spot, and black on her pec fins plus a little smaller and a more rounded belly). she was being extrmely aggresive so i moved her to a 30 gallon with a clown pleco. I bought what i believe is a male GBR ( larger, very little black on the pec fins, no blue on the black spot, and longer more pointy fins).

Right now they are swimming together around the tank, a tiny bit of nipping, but for the most part just rubbing against eachother. Sign of them being a pair? the female is about 1-1/2" and the male 2+"

img_1543247_0_2fbd14d6551405db66f0d82429af8433.jpg

well i have 2 male german blue rams so they only swim around together without the mating signs however i have 2 sailfin molly's 1 female and 1 male and they do all the things you described. i would say they are pairing.

I am interested in trying to breed them, what temp? i have it around 84-85, i am feeding them blood worms and tubifex worms. I heard they need a low ph but that they will breed in higher, I got the two huge eices of driftwood but would oak leaves also be needed?

Your temp is fine, breeding temp is about 82 so your good... As for the ph you should be fine!

Thanks, if i can get them to breed ill post pics. Im not going to lie, pretty stoked.

okay, ill add allot of oakleaves to try and get it down, it will probaly help with the natural look also, ever use peat moss? i have seen allot of people suggest it but i have never tried with it.

what you can try to do is mix some reverse osmosis (ro) water with your tap. i have to mix 2/3 tap with 1/3 ro to get at 6.5 ph. rams like a low ph and soft water. it's a bit of a pain but worth it imo. rams also like "fresh water" so a 10-15% water change every 3 days is the schedule i keep. i will attache a pic of the "babies"

Now as far as RO water goes, whats the best way to get it? I hear the machines are expensive, where would I buy a large amount if it?

JacksonJigsaw said:
Now as far as RO water goes, whats the best way to get it? I hear the machines are expensive, where would I buy a large amount if it?

Get a 5 gallon water bottle and fill them on those machines outside of the supermarket

Hmm thank you, never noticed those before, how do you recommend slowly getting it down? Take the fish out, lower the tank to the desired ph, than slowly acclimate the fish back? Or every other day slowly add a little more RO water?

agree with alex07. that's what i do. the machine is outside the grocery store. i get five gals. for $1.50. there's another machine close to me that sells 5 gal. for $1.00 but i tested the water for ammonia and nitrates and that water has a low reading of nitrates. don't want that. so i would advise you to get some of the ro and test it first. also some fish stores sell ro water. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom