Pairing off GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everybody!

I have a single male GBR who's mate just died recently x(.

I was wondering about the best/easiest way to pair him up again?

I'm 14 and I can't drive, my parents aren't that enthusiastic about driving me places just for fish, hopefully I can go maybe once a month to my LFS...

I have a 45 gal with 6 rummies 2 neons 2 pep cories 1 GBR 1 glo danio

and an empty (currently uncycled) 20 gallon long.

Thanks!

I understand perfectly with the whole parents thing. Mine just and I mean just tolerate my three tanks in my bedroom.

You could just wing it and buy another female ram and hope that they pair or you could get two and see which one pairs and relocate the other.

Also I'd increase the number of neons to 5-6 atleast but you could easily put both tetra schools to 8-10.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would at least buy 2 and let the male choose, he may even choose both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Both? o_O what a lucky guy! lol. but could you elaborate? I might buy 2 and then maybe just keep the other in the 45? :L

Both? o_O what a lucky guy! lol. but could you elaborate? I might buy 2 and then maybe just keep the other in the 45? :L

I have 1m 2f in a 20 long and my male spawns with both, in an aquarium setting where there is no competition for mates the pair bonding rule gets broken, but IME the male does favor the most productive female and spawns with her the most.

I have 1m 2f in a 20 long and my male spawns with both, in an aquarium setting where there is no competition for mates the pair bonding rule gets broken, but IME the male does favor the most productive female and spawns with her the most.

That's interesting you've been able to keep 2 females with 1 male and get successful spawns from both. I thought and have read that females will also fight each other. I originally had two females and one got picked on badly till I swapped her in for a male.

That's interesting you've been able to keep 2 females with 1 male and get successful spawns from both. I thought and have read that females will also fight each other. I originally had two females and one got picked on badly till I swapped her in for a male.

They normally will but I have a large piece of wood dividing the tank and the male never lets any standoff get past bluffing.

Back
Top Bottom