pakistani loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mar_att1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i heard that pakistani loaches have a tendency of being fin nibbers.

is this true?

I was considering them cos they wont grow as large as the clown loaches but now i'm a bit afraid :S

They can be, although the ones I've kept weren't that bad and I always enjoyed 'em. What types of fish are you currently keeping?

I've had 2 in my 55G for a few months now and have had no problems with them nipping. But I also dont have any long fin fish.

i am still in the stage of considering what to keep... today i tested the tank and it is finally cycled, will give it some more days to make sure...

i'm trying my best not to make mistakes in my stocking list. i am focusing mainly on a community tank with its main focus on GBRs. with them i would like to put some cardinals and another school of tetras, ottos, a pleco and i was also considering the pakistanis. i was thinking about keeping a tank full of small fish and i was afraid that the clown loaches would get too big when compared to the others. thats why i started considering pakistani loaches.

besides they are also very beautiful

yep clowns will get way to big if you only want small fish.

I have 4 Pakistani/Yoyo loaches in my 55g with 2 angels which have long fins. The yoyos have never caused a problem. They are really active fish and fun to watch. They don't bother any of the other fish. I do see them occasionally following some of the fish that get close to them, but its mainly just to get that fish out of their territory/area. They never fin nip. :)

The thing with any loaches is numbers. If you only have 1 or 2, they will find other tank mates to bother. But if you have more, then they tend to play with themselves and not bother other tank mates. I have 5 skunk loaches now in my 55G, and they don't bother any of the other fish, and are always racing through the tank chasing each other and playing tag, lol.

I have one yoyo loach in my 29g and he either does his own thing on the bottom, or else he decides he's going to be a rainbow fish and school with my 5 dwarf neon rainbowfish. He doesn't both anyone, no fin nipping, just goes along and swims with them for 10 or 15 minutes, then gets tired of that and goes back to doing his thing.

Kinda funny, actually.

I keep a trio of yo yo loaches in a tank with a small rainbow shark, parrot cichlids, and a convict cichlid. My loaches pretty much ignore any other fish and just do their own thing. They are very active and playful with each other, and they add a lot of character to my tank. Like LWB said, if you get at least a trio, you shouldn't have any problems, and they are a fun fish to keep.

Lochata are one of the more aggressive species, yes. I've seen fighting between a group of 3 which left permanent scarring on one. It was only one in the group that was a real troublemaker, and it could be just personality, but their behaviour in general is much less peaceful than other loaches.

If you are looking for a small peaceful community tank, I would strongly recommend a group of 3 Botia Kubotai (polkadot loaches). They are extremely playful and very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom