Pale Faced Oto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 4 oto cats in a 10 gallon tank (they'll be moving into a 45 in a week or two) but one of them has a 'white' splotch on its face. The others are perfectly healthy and, for the most part, this one is too. They're all eating well, are nice plump, and are swimming around. I just don't know what's up with this one. The 'white' started at the gills and has covered its face now.

tumblr_mqhp8fUN5c1r1z2tko1_500.jpg

Does anyone have any idea why this guy is losing his color?

Does the white area look a little fuzzy? Does he not seem as active as the others, eating ok?

He's not as active, but will still hunt out algae wafer bits I put in and will eat at least a little. As far as I can tell the white splotch isn't fuzzy, but he likes to hide in that particular spot and I can't get a closer look.

I hope someone with more knowledge than myself chimes in soon. I don't really have much knowledge with these guys. I was wondering if it could be columnaris, but could be very wrong and hope I am. If it doesn't look like his scales/skin missing then I'd say it's not

To me it doesn't seem like that to me. The white spot is larger and smoother than what I found for that disease. My three other otos are fine as is the betta I have in there so I'm leaning towards him not being contagious.

whew, that's great! I hope you get more responses on what's going on..

Don't know if this one helps at all

Attachments

• image-3340645049.jpg
    image-3340645049.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 43
Maybe he got burned? I really have no idea but possibly got stuck behind the heater or got caught up somewhere

Maybe he got burned? I really have no idea but possibly got stuck behind the heater or got caught up somewhere

It wouldn't have been the heater. That part of the tank is sectioned off.

I'm naming him Phantom for Phantom of the Opera. As long as his mask thing isn't deadly or contagious then I'm not worried. I just want to know what the heck is going on.

Back
Top Bottom