Pale pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lizdarby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!
Two weeks ago I added a blue eyed lemon bristlenosed pleco to my community tank. But I’ve noticed it’s gone paler In colour, just wondering if anyone has any possible ideas as to why?
Tank is 200L and has a mix of tetras, ottos, and a gold gourami. I have one of them FluvalSmart lights and it’s set for about 8 hours.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 1
pH - 7.4
GH - 8
KH - 3

Grateful for any ideas! Thank you in advance

How did you acclimate the pleco to the tank? Remember that the pleco needs driftwood to eat as well as some protein, not just algae from the tank.

Don’t panic - a broad range of plecos actually pale quite easily when they are exposed to even the slightest stress. Eliminate any immediate stress factors, and they typically darken up within a day or two. I’m assuming because of the low nitrates that you recently did a water change - did you add anything new to your tank? Perhaps a chemical has irritated him? Second, are you using any salt in this tank? If so, do a large water change immediately - they can tolerate the salt, but it’s very discomforting for some of them. Third, your temperature - make sure your heater is functioning properly. Fourth, they become discolored when they don’t have anywhere to hide or the substrate is too rough for them to burrow into. If he is constantly hiding, then you may need to check for other signs of disease such as thin & stringy or pale white poo, bulging eyes, lumps on the body, or red sores. I hope this is not the case though - More often than not they will regain their color and be back to normal in just a matter of time. Clean water and constant care should do the trick if you cannot identify a disease. Wishing you luck!

Back
Top Bottom