Panda corys not doing so good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been treating three corys for ich. They appeared to be doing better, then two of them took a dive. One died yesterday. One has what looks like fungus growing on his tail and red spreading on his fins that I'm assuming is infection. The other looks fine and is swimming and eating, thank the gods, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I've held off treating with salt because corys are sensitive to it, using Ich Attack, Fish Protector, and rooibos tea but it appears I need to get a bit more aggressive...would salt help any? I'm kind of stuck with home remedies and hoping Walmart's fish section holds something helpful at this point.

Has the ick cleared up now?
I'm not sure what these medications are (not familiar with them) perhaps they've damaged your BB. If I were you, have you tested your water?
Might be worth doing a big pwc to get rid of some of those meds.

do not treat with salt. keep trying with ich attack and set them up with a QT or hospital if they aren't in one already.

Your Corydoras

I've been treating three corys for ich. They appeared to be doing better, then two of them took a dive. One died yesterday. One has what looks like fungus growing on his tail and red spreading on his fins that I'm assuming is infection. The other looks fine and is swimming and eating, thank the gods, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I've held off treating with salt because corys are sensitive to it, using Ich Attack, Fish Protector, and rooibos tea but it appears I need to get a bit more aggressive...would salt help any? I'm kind of stuck with home remedies and hoping Walmart's fish section holds something helpful at this point.

Hello Kay...

I keep several different species of Corys with my Livebearers and have used a little standard aquarium salt in my water change water for years. Corys are sensative to high doses of salt needed to treat the Ich parasite, but if you keep the salt dose low, your Corys will be fine and the salt will stimulate the immune system and help them recover. I use a little more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my new, treated water.

Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the water, so it makes sense to me to use a little routinely.

There are a couple of things you can try over the next two weeks that may help your fish: Slowly raise the tank temperature to 80 degrees and start changing half the tank water every three days and add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of your replacement water.

The new water should be a little warmer than the water you remove. The combination of a lot of warm, pure water flushed through the tank with a little salt will calm the fish and act as a "health tonic".

After a couple of weeks, see how the fish do. If things look good, then return the tank to normal. But, I'd continue to do the 50 percent water changes at least once a week.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider, or not.

B

Understandable, Mumma. Ich attack was for the ich itself. Fish Protector is an all around immune boost that I grabbed to see if it helped, and the rooibos I started adding because it looked like two were getting fin rot and it's supposed to help with that and be another immune boost. Nothing counter acts with anything and nothing affects the BB, so I figured why not since I had some on hand. Daily water changes (to get rid of dropped off ich cysts and control ammonia levels since my sponge filter wasn't doing as well at it as I'd hoped).

The ich appears to be gone. The fin rot seems to have been an opportunistic fungus. Two wound up dying this week from the fungus--the first before I'd figured out what it was, the second a couple days later, the third is looking normal. She's staying in quarantine for another week to make sure she's actually healthy, but I've got high hopes.

They got pulled from the tank initially because they were not dealing well at all with the heat treatment. Next time, I may just leave them in--the tank very nearly got better faster than they started showing signs of being sick. -.- Chalk it up to a learning experience, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom