Panther Crab (Parathelphusa pantherina)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenGo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Panther crab

Parathelphusa pantherina

Submitted by GreenGo

Panther Crab, Parathelphusa pantherina

Synonyms: None known

Common Names: Leopard Crab

Category: Invertebrate

Family: Gecarcinucidae

Origin: Lake Matano, Sulawesi, Indonesia

Main Ecosystem: Shore/coast

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperament: shy

Diet: omnivore

Care: requires hiding places, iodine supplements (if not enough is in the diet), calcium supplements (again, proper diet can negate this), covered aquarium recommended but not required (see comment section)

pH: 7.5 to 8.5

Temperature: 76 to 82 degrees F (24 to 28 degrees C), though 80 to 82 degrees F (26 to 28 degrees C) is optimal

Hardness: KH: 5 to 8*** GH: 4 to 6

Potential size: 3 inches across carapace (not including legs)

Water Region: around Lake Matano under roots and logs on sand

Activity: nocturnal

Lifespan: 2 to 3 years

Color: body is orange with brown spots

Mouth: normal for a crab

Sexing: male has a thin flap on the underside (looks like a torpedo/skyscraper), female a larger flap (commonly a bit rounder than males)

Acclimation: I normally drip acclimate my crabs and other inverts (see source below for a detailed tutorial on how to drip acclimate organisms)

Breeding: Please see thread entitled “Panther Crab Breeding Project” under breeding

Comments: I’ve owned five of these crabs so far. Originally, two of them climbed out and I replaced them (hence the importance of a covered aquarium, though there was competition in the aquarium. Most organisms leave the aquarium because they're not comfortable with the water/the other inhabitants. I've kept other species of crabs in an aquarium without the lid and none left). Then, one got torn apart (a female, died trying to moult). Finally, one other one died from a failed moult, and the final one tried to find a warmer place to live after it got below freezing and I forgot to put a heater in the aquarium. Now I’m going to try again, but this time I will succeed in breeding them.

They are said to be fully aquatic, but I'd still recommend a place they can climb out of the water if desired. Out of the five I've had, I found two in the filter consistently [I think due to the first three all being males, not enough room for three territories, and the two in the filter being subordinates to the larger male that was consistently in the aquarium] and the last one, as I bought the two replacements, climbed into the hob filter overflow for some out-of-water time (I was in the process of buying the two and found out when I got home. I was extremely happy he didn't climb out)

Sources: (enter all sources below this line)

Descriptions and articles about Parathelphusa pantherina - Encyclopedia of Life (most everything else)

Water Parameter Lake Poso, Lake Matano, Lake Towuti (June 2011)) (Lake Matano water parameters, used to check pH, temp, and other water parameters)

1 Panther Crab (Parathelphusa pantherina) - 2 to 3 inch Juvenile - Fully Aquatic! | Freshwater Crabs (temp range, pH)

Panther Crab - Elite Inverts Store (life expectancy, KH, optimal temp)

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals (drip acclimation)

*Photos are beneficial. Attach photos in this space. Photos of both the male and female are even better.

Note: In regard to photographs, photographs other than your own require permission of the owner to post in this forum. The use of copyrighted material is protected by law.

PS, I will post pics when I get mine for my breeding project. Until then, feel free to Google the common or scientific name, or even add your own pics, I know some of you keep them.

Hope this helps! Every crab, shrimp, or fish I breed will be accompanied with a new thread AND a profile for the organism. Have an awesome day!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This was amazing, thank you so much for all the information!

Back
Top Bottom