PAR lighting graph for freshwater plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deftpunk79

Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple of people asked me to post these graphs. To help with choosing proper tank lighting. Sorry I don't have a curve that includes LEDs.

img_2395879_0_3695cef8849bc68ac0e8779f6367c852.jpg

img_2395879_1_8594e7a62197a95878aef9ca32331f1d.jpg

Most people look at that thread, see a wall of numbers and then run off to ask questions in a different forum. You need simplified charts.

Because someone else put a lot of work into those charts, and just posting the pics doesn't give them credit. Also, there's a lot more information on that thread. Context is important.

Thats fine I have this chart and won't ever see that one so who ever did all that work won't get any credit bc ppl don't spread their work...thats like an artist making a piece art then giving it to his grandma who won't ever let anyone else see it...plus deffpunk79 have been working on getting this information to each other and you come through and bash it saying its not right...like most ur other post but when called out you ignore or give an excuse...

I'm not sure what your point is. The same guy made all of these charts. Why quote chapter when you can give the book? Even on the old thread, there was a lot of additional information about reflectors changing lighting levels, which if you don't take into account, you'll be reading them wrong. For instance, the chart above assumes high quality reflectors like Teks that reflect 3x the light of a bulb, while most fixture will only manage 1.5-2x reflection, so they will be assuming they have 50-100% more light than they actually have.

The point is you just posted someone else's charts without even referencing them as the source.

And as aqua_chem said, if you've followed Hoppy's thread over there you'll find out that it has been updated with actual data on different fixture types rather than vague generalizations.

It's cool to spread and share information but at least give credit where it's due, and give information around the charts so that people can understand how to apply them properly.

There's not a 'wall of numbers' on the updated PAR charts, it's just a breakdown of what each different fixture type and brand performs like, this is a HUGE part of how well a fixture will perform. You can look at the new charts and see that there is a huge difference between a 2x54w aquaticlife fixture and a 2x54w coralife fixture, so lumping them together in a simplified chart is inaccurate and misleading, especially considering that we have actual PAR data to glean from now.

So this hoppys thread is where it came from cool...all I needed... instead of saying this is hoppys chart like every john and jane doe knows what your talking about you could have said that instead of proving how read up on this subject you are...im learning theres just a bunch to learn thanks for all the feed back...

K well deff my phone sucks bc thats why this whole thread started bc I couldn't open a link in a private message...is hoppys thread in this forum or another?

Hoppy is a regular contributor at The Planted Tank . If I recall correctly, he's got some sort of engineering background with lights, and he's one of the few people I know of pursuing the hobby from a quantitative background.

Back
Top Bottom