Parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkirk92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
20170904_020122.jpg20170904_020120.jpg
Is this a parasite? If so what should I use to treat it?

Need more info on what we are looking at sorry as in the photos he looks fine. P.s nice tiger

White stringy poop often indicates internal parasites..
Look into internal parasites and Praziquantel or Metroplex .
Sometimes poop is just the color of food ,but that looks suspicious ?

If your fish still has the typical Oscar tenacious appetite then the stringy poop might be a symptom of constipation. Your LFS probably sells food laced with garlic. That seems to help with digestive disorders. If the Oscar has stopped eating then the problem is likely gut bugs. At that point you will want to research the various meds available. It's been my experience that constipation is far more common than disease. Good luck.

Hello t...

Hard to tell. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're following a sound water change routine by removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, your fish will be fine. It's a missed water change or two that can create problems.

If you're not changing this much water, you should. Water changes less than half the tank's volume, still leaves most of the old toxic water in the tank.

Add some aquatic plants too. Swords, java fern and varieties of Anubias are easy to grow and will help keep the tank water clean between water changes.

B

I've had the tank and fish for about 2 weeks now I change 25 to 30 percent of the water every week and plan on doing a complete tank cleaning every 4 weeks he doesnt have an appetite and the night before I noticed the stringy poo he was just hanging out in a little cave like area not swimming around staying really low to the bottom

I believe your fish is sick. Unfortunately, after reading the replies you have received they are not providing you with the correct advice.

It's very well known fact that Oscars have an issue with hole in the head disease with is cause by an internal parasite called s. Vortens. The great of news is there is a cure, but before we talk about medicating I would like it if you can tell me a bit more about your fish.

First, can you provide more photos of he his area looking from the front of him. This way you can focus on his sensory pits and that's a sure fire way to diagnose. The clear poop and the lack of appetite is also a red light for HITH.

Besides pictures please provide as much info about water parameters, diet, tank mates, possible stressors, tank temp, how long you have had the fish, size of aquarium, ect.

In the mean time don't start randomly treating untill we can confirm what we are dealing with. I have first hand experience with this parasite and can provide you with help moving forward. Keep in mind this is not an easy quick fix but rather a fight which can be difficult to win.

Read this great article for starters and also do alot of googling about s. Vortens and hole in the head disease and Oscars and cichlids.

Spironucleus - Hole In The Head, Head and Lateral Line Disease

Back
Top Bottom