Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwhite281

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a strange looking parasite (I think that's what it is) in my 2.5 gallon tank. It is hard for me to explain, but it has a sucker for a mouth. When it's stretched out, it looks like a thin worm. I would say it's about half an inch long when stretched out. It rolled into a ball when I was trying to get it out of the tank and then when I put it in a container, it was an oval shape. I have no idea what this is. It's the only one in the tank (that I've found). Does anyone have any idea what this thing is, what caused it or a website I can go to for finding information on it? I worry that it will be harmful to my fish. The picture isn't very good, it's the best I could get.
Thanks!

Attachments

• parasite-a_217.jpg
    parasite-a_217.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 312
rkilling1 said:
Maybe a leech?

Just what I was thinking, I guess there's only one way to find out, stick your finger in there... :mrgreen:
(just kidding, even I wouldn't try that!!!)

It looks a little like a water mite. From the pic it's hard to tell. Does it have legs (spider like)?
If not, here is a pic of a leech (with sucker you mentioned) and it looks very familiar..lol

Attachments

• leech2_196.jpg
    leech2_196.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
If it rolled into a ball it is a leech, but as to what kind who can tell. when I get leeches they are a greenish colored chlorophyll sucking leech that come in on plants farmed in ponds sometimes, and the fish eat them real quick. I also get small leeches that are lightly colored with dark spots in with blackworms.

I took it to the store and the guy there said it's a Water Worm. He has no idea how it got in the tank. He said they get them every once in a while in their tanks, but not that often. It's apparently not harmful to the fish or plants. It will even eat some of the algae off the side but not that much. So i let them get rid of it for me.
I haven't seen another since.

Back
Top Bottom