Parasites in my tank? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
lately i have seen these little white dots in my tank also i have seen a worm in my tank. from my research it looks like a planaria. its tiny and white.
I'm assuming they are bad. what do i do? :(

here is a pic of the white dots..
i couldn't find any of the worms anymore. i only saw one earlier

Attachments

• IMAG0283.jpg
    IMAG0283.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 103
Parasites

lately i have seen these little white dots in my tank also i have seen a worm in my tank. from my research it looks like a planaria. its tiny and white.
I'm assuming they are bad. what do i do? :(

Hello Paul...

IMO, if you're keeping a clean tank, you don't need to be concerned about parasites. Parasites live in most cubes of water that contain plants and fish and can live in a dormant state for up to years. They only become a problem when you neglect your water keeping duties and stress your fish. The stress weakens the fishes' immune system and the parasites infect the fishes' skin.

Healthy fish skin is rarely affected by these parasites. Just remove and replace half the water in your tank every week and follow a sound tank maintenance routine. This will guarantee stable, healthy conditions for your fish.

B

Parasites

Hm. Will it affect my RCS? And the baby shrimps?

Hello again Paul...

I'm not an authority on shrimp. I used to keep them with my Livebearers and they were fine in pure water conditions.

Review your tank management routine and make sure you're doing everything necessary to maintain a stable water chemistry and that includes large, frequent water changes, routine filtration checks and media replacement if needed. If your plant situation allows it, do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. A lot of parasites will live there, vacuuming will remove them. Diet is important too, your fish and shrimp need a variety to be healthy.

I'm sure you know the drill. If you follow a sound tank maintenance routine, I see no reason to be concerned.

B

Paulcm10 said:
here is a pic of the white dots..
i couldn't find any of the worms anymore. i only saw one earlier

Those look like eggs of some sort, not parasites. What is your tank stock?

Hello again Paul...

I'm not an authority on shrimp. I used to keep them with my Livebearers and they were fine in pure water conditions.

Review your tank management routine and make sure you're doing everything necessary to maintain a stable water chemistry and that includes large, frequent water changes, routine filtration checks and media replacement if needed. If your plant situation allows it, do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. A lot of parasites will live there, vacuuming will remove them. Diet is important too, your fish and shrimp need a variety to be healthy.

I'm sure you know the drill. If you follow a sound tank maintenance routine, I see no reason to be concerned.

B

oh ok ill do that thanks brad

Back
Top Bottom