Parasites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having an issue with a new Dwarf Gourami that I just got yesterday. I didn't QT him before adding him to the tank since I don't have another tank to put new fish in.

His symptoms are:

Stringy poo (whitish, some solid parts, and empty parts.. like sausage links all connected with 1 or 2 links missing if that makes sense)
Sitting on the bottom of the tank
Not really active
He did eat earlier today, but he wasn't showing these symptoms then.
He still has his color, doesn't look bloated.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the fish seem fine. Along with the other Dwarf Gourami. So im guessing I baught him with a parasite, I read up on these fish before buying them, but I must have overlooked the fact that they can have parasites quite easily.

The tank:

36 Gallon Bow Front
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
Ph - 6.8
DIY CO2 (2 bubble/sec)
QuietFlow 30
Aquaclear 50

Moderately planted:

Amazon Sword
Red Melon Sword
Water Sprite
Water Wisteria
Cabomba
Hygrophila Polysperma
Java Moss

Fish:

1 Angelfish
8 Black Skirt Tetra's
2 Dwarf Gourami
3 Danios's
2 Oto's
2 Cories
1 Molly
2 Snails

The black skirt tetra's can get a little nippy with them, but mainly only at first they were, they seem to be leaving them alone now, since for the most part the DG's hang out in the water sprite.

I feed them:

Fish Flakes (pre soaked in aquarium water)
Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Bloodworms
Algae Wafers (mainly for cories)

I was thinking at first maybe the fish just wasn't acclimated to well, but the other DG is perfectly fine. I guess they could all just be different, maybe this ones a little more sensitive? Constipated? Parasite? Bacterial Infection? Not sure... I appreciate any help.

Just an FYI, im trying to do all natural, I'm not really wanting to add any meds to my tank. If I HAVE to, I will, but if theres any other ways... I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

-Mike

Well this morning i found him on his side with a long string hanging out of him... like thread? so i ran to the store n baught a hospital tank and some tetra parasite guard. Really hope this works. What are the odds that my main tank is infected with this? Should i risk dosing the whole tank or just wait n see what happens?

Any chance for a picture? The stringy white feces could indicate a digestive problem such as constipation or internal parasites but the stringy worms could actually be anchor worms. I would leave the infected fish in the display tank and treat everyone since they could already be infected. I would perform 3 full doses of Parasite Guard as directions indicate, like this:

Day 1. Perform water change then treat at full dosage.
Day 2. Don't do anything besides observe fish.
Day 3. 25% water change then re-dose at full strength.
Day 4. Don't do anything again.
Day 5. 25% water change then re-dose at full strength.
Day 6. Don't do anything again.
Day 7. Massive water change in excess of 60-70% along with addition of carbon if you have any.

The last thing I would add is Epsom salt dosed slowly at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, then replace the only the salt you've removed from the water changes.

Ok give me a little bit to try and get a picture for you. I wanna make sure dosing my big tank is ABSOLUTELY nessessary. The thread looking thing was coming out of his bottom. It was very thin (like thread), sort of tan/white in color and about an inch long. Hope this helps

So far it seems the parasite gaurd is atleast helping. This morning he was on his side, breathing heavily. Now he seems a little more normal, still mopey, and on the bottom. But he is coming up to surface for air and searching for food when he gets energy. He wasnt really doing that at all yestersay.

I would also not feed during the treatment, any fish that is having digestive issues has the potential to get worse until the problem is fixed. You want the digestive track completely clear.

Ok. Not even pea's? Because i baught some frozen ones incase it it was constipation. Right now im not getting a good pic of him, im going to try again in a few mins, hopefully he moves. I dont really wanna stress him out by making him move, since he is still kind of breathing hard.

Ok I wont feed them. I got a couple of pictures of the fish. I can't really get a clear enough shot, but you can sort of see it in one of the pictures. Its right above the feeler arm in one of the pictures (second image), earlier it was sort of tan, now it seems more dark brown/black, but still thread size.

Thats the way he's been laying on the gravel, tail down/head up (first image)

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom