Paratilapia Polleni Bleekeri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have experience with this fish? The lfs has a bunch of juveniles.. Very pretty fish!..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does anyone have experience with this fish? The lfs has a bunch of juveniles.. Very pretty fish!..

I would say that no one here has probably even heard of it before but I looked it up and boy is it a stunner! I would snatch up a group and see if you can't establish a couple of breeding pairs. They are not seen very often so go for it! (y)

I would say that no one here has probably even heard of it before but I looked it up and boy is it a stunner! I would snatch up a group and see if you can't establish a couple of breeding pairs. They are not seen very often so go for it! (y)

Out of the Madagascan cichlids, these are probably the most common.

Treat them like you would a bigger Central American. A single pair in a 75 gallon would work, with a small group of robust dithers, possibly even target fish. Bleekeri are going to be a bit on the aggressive side, and will typically show that even from a young age. Overall a very cool fish though

Thanks for the reply guys! I have a 72bowfront laying around and was thinking of setting it up for one of them. How big do they typically get?

I don't have direct experience, just what some others have told me. Looks like males hit 10-12" and females less than that. The source online I saw said 120 gallons per pair, but personally that seems a little steep and feel, with proper care and attention, and readiness with a divider, a 75 would work ok. As for a single specimen, a 72bf would be perfect, just know that these grow very slowly

Would dithers still be acceptable for a single fish... Or just treat it as a "wet pet"?

Would dithers still be acceptable for a single fish... Or just treat it as a "wet pet"?

I personally would keep as a
Wet pet. The thing about bleekeri is that they're endangered in the wild, so breeding them in captivity is always a bonus

Great!.. Thanks for the advice!... Now I need to get my wife on board for another tank!!

I love bleekeri! Polleni are nice but the look a bit different. I was going to buy a juvy group of these but i decided against it, simply because it was back when i was very new to cichlids and they seemed a bit difficult. Since then I've done a lot more research and an waiting to find another group of them.

As stated before, treat them like a large Central American. A pair of them with some Rainbowfish would be stunning. They are quite a rare fish.

I would give these a high rating on my list of future fish to keep. They are beautiful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Out of the Madagascan cichlids, these are probably the most common.

Treat them like you would a bigger Central American. A single pair in a 75 gallon would work, with a small group of robust dithers, possibly even target fish. Bleekeri are going to be a bit on the aggressive side, and will typically show that even from a young age. Overall a very cool fish though

I meant not as common to see around here ;) While they may be the most commonly seen cichlid from Madagascar (Didn't know that) They are definatley a little more unique than the usual selection of convicts, green terrors, severums, Mbuna, etc. Still an awesome fish though!

IIRC, Bleekeri was actually removed and its now just large and small spot Polleni. Bleekeri became large spot. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Jesse

IIRC, Bleekeri was actually removed and its now just large and small spot Polleni. Bleekeri became large spot. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Jesse

I have no idea i don't keep up with the current names. I was told Bleekeri had big spots and Polleni had small, and thats how i identify them. I only keep track of the names i need to know to be able to communicate properly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Jesse

I know it's pretty debated and I'm not sure if there's a unanimous decision whether or not to combine them. For now, I just refer to them as bleekeri and polleni

I know it's pretty debated and I'm not sure if there's a unanimous decision whether or not to combine them. For now, I just refer to them as bleekeri and polleni

I think most of this "generation" of keepers will as well, aside from trying to be politically correct at least.

Jesse

I think most of this "generation" of keepers will as well, aside from trying to be politically correct at least.

Jesse

From what I was reading, it appears that they were previously believed to be the same species (big spot/little spot variations) and have since been divided into separate but related species due to difference in size and behavior as well as the obvious spot size. Again, what I was reading, not my experience or direct knowledge

Back
Top Bottom