Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! Seaweed, it's been one tough coral. They have hosted it for years now, diving into it but its just now showing problems. I'll have to figure something out. My vote is to get rid of the clowns, though I love them and had them a long time, I value my coral more. My wife won't let me get rid of the clowns. I'll figure something out.

I know the feeling I wanted to loose the clowns also , my wife acts as if there our kids lol ,
she don't seem to get it loosing all these corals is no joke it's got to be close to $500. by now,
wonder how they would do in my predator tank , all it is are small fish not those big guys
I pointed my finger to fast at my wrasse for killing my fox coral it was those stinking clowns

Well maybe a silicone Nem. There are some which seem ok or maybe a Clownfish tank with a silicone nem. Not all fake nems look the same, some are nicer than others and look realistic - many are hideous. It is an outlandish idea I know with all the really nice stuff in that tank but if the little Clowns beat up the nice stuff................

How much have you spent on coral? and what light are you using?

That's a good question! And unfortunately I don't have an answer. I do alot of wheeling and dealing. Mostly trades from frags that i took off of growing coral. I have spent a decent bit IMO, but I'm also poor. LOL! I'm using a cheap chineses 120w LED panel that was manufactured by Xen-Lux. They are Bridgelux LEDS which are good IME, but I would recommend the exact light I have because it doesn't have a dimmer.

Well maybe a silicone Nem. There are some which seem ok or maybe a Clownfish tank with a silicone nem. Not all fake nems look the same, some are nicer than others and look realistic - many are hideous. It is an outlandish idea I know with all the really nice stuff in that tank but if the little Clowns beat up the nice stuff................

I see what your saying. The ol' cogs have been turning. Though about replacing the euphyllias with a big anemone they will host.... but I dunno.

I see what your saying. The ol' cogs have been turning. Though about replacing the euphyllias with a big anemone they will host.... but I dunno.

Mine is slowly coming back out of hiding, it would be nice to know they will stop killing everything they host, it's got to be close to 5 months since I last saw my nem, the clowns scared him into hiding as they're just to rough.

I had a silicone nem when I first started they never touched it. They can tell it's fake just a waste of good money that could have bought a coral.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine is slowly coming back out of hiding , it would be nice to know they will stop killing everything they host , it's got to be close to 5 months since I last saw my nem ,the clowns scared him into hiding as there just to rough

I had a silicone nem when I first started they never touched it , They can tell it's fake just a waist of good money that could have bought a coral

Silly clowns. They do what they want. LOL. Hope you nem does well though! I've seen clowns host ask sorts of things including powerheads! So I wouldn't consider it far-fetched that one might host a silicone/decor nem or anything for that matter. Every clown is different. :)

I did help my buddy that I get all my livestock/coral from do some painting in his soon to be new FTS this weekend. He has been operating out of his house for a good while now and already has a good customer base established. Best place to go for saltwater in Clarksville anyways, so this is gonna be awesome. In return for my help I got some salt and a couple new zoas. Got a decent size frag of Everlasting Gobbstopers & a really nice looking purple with speckles and green skirt frag. I'll post some photos of them tomorrow. ;)

Silly clowns. They do what they want. LOL. Hope you nem does well though! I've seen clowns host ask sorts of things including powerheads! So I wouldn't consider it far-fetched that one might host a silicone/decor nem or anything for that matter. Every clown is different. :)

They'll probably chase it back into hiding be my guess it's gotten bigger though.

I did help my buddy that I get all my livestock/coral from do some painting in his soon to be new FTS this weekend. He has been operating out of his house for a good while now and already has a good customer base established. Best place to go for saltwater in Clarksville anyways, so this is gonna be awesome. In return for my help I got some salt and a couple new zoas. Got a decent size frag of Everlasting Gobbstopers & a really nice looking purple with speckles and green skirt frag. I'll post some photos of them tomorrow. ;)

Awesome! Can't wait to see and sounds like you found the right guy to do favors for :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its nice to have friends that you can do things for and get some goodies out of it. Will Andrew be creating a website store also?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its nice to have friends that you can do things for and get some goodies out of it. Will Andrew be creating a website store also?

Not sure but I will let you know. He's got a nice little building, I think his store will turn out to be nice.

The 2 new Zoas. Hard to get a good shot of them.

Everlasting Gobbstoppers (center)
bky6BKa.jpg

MTWjmJe.jpg

jupAdUb.jpg

Purple with speckles and green skirt (center)
iHzaKaV.jpg

A3wR2bH.jpg

Random Zoa Top Shot (solor flares growing new polyps! :))
xbDCTLV.jpg

Paul do you do photography as a hobby? Your photos are incredible and I can never get the right amount of light balance between blue and white to take good photos.

Your zoas are gorgeous. Makes me want a small zoa garden tank!

Beautiful ZOA's Paul. And those red hornet are really growing nicely. What do you feed your corals?

Paul do you do photography as a hobby? Your photos are incredible and I can never get the right amount of light balance between blue and white to take good photos.

Your zoas are gorgeous. Makes me want a small zoa garden tank!

Thanks! Nope, just photos of my tank. LOL. White balance is the key. I adjust with camera and PIXLR sometimes afterwards. I also started using a gel filter an the actinic shots and it helps the color alot. Everyone needs zoa garden! :)

Beautiful ZOA's Paul. And those red hornet are really growing nicely. What do you feed your corals?

Thanks. Just a little Reef Chilli and whatever else is in the water column. They get good light where I have them also.

Gutter guard cage constructed and covering Trachy until I figure something out something. Clowns are a little confused at the moment.

pVpFyZQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom