PC Monitoring of fishtanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaOne

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at making some hardware for PC monitoring of fishtanks.
It seems a good deal of AA's have their PC close by (as observed from another thread), good idea so you can see some fish while you wait for app's to update etc.
My plan is to have firstly a temperature probe, but hope to expand so that the PC actually controls temp. Rather outlandish, but it would really be something if I could get ph etc. readings, but that probably needs some kind of particle analysis equipment (now it sounds expensive !). Has anyone done anything like this ? One step at a time, just the temp probe for now !!

Well, I think this all can be done without a PC. They have temperature controllers with probes that can turn heaters on/off or chillers on/off. They also have pH controllers that are stand-alone units that have a probe which monitors the pH level. You can set them to keep a certain pH. A lot of planted tank guys will use them to control the pH/CO2 levels in their tanks.

There are also a lot more expensive devices that actually give you a web interface to monitor your levels and adjust them via the internet. Saltwater tanks will use these to dose things daily.

Thx Steve, nothing new then !
I am a computer 'hobbyist' and always looking at how I might combine the various hobby interests I have. I had no idea there was a ph monitor/adjuster already out there, but you're right... there's no real 'need' for a PC interface. Maybe I will settle for combining my 'lust' for PC's with my RC model aircraft.

AquaOne said:
Thx Steve, nothing new then !
I am a computer 'hobbyist' and always looking at how I might combine the various hobby interests I have. I had no idea there was a ph monitor/adjuster already out there, but you're right... there's no real 'need' for a PC interface. Maybe I will settle for combining my 'lust' for PC's with my RC model aircraft.

Now you're talking! I'm an AMA member with quite a few planes in my "hanger". Mainly electrics and a gas heli. Just starting into some aerial photography... Got a job lined up taking aerial shots for a construction company.

I really think automation is the way to go with aquariums. Anything to make our lives easier, right? ;)

Wouldn't need much actual hardware to do it either...

Small ITX box running a Linux build with some sort of data interface... USB data logger or something...

If you can write programs even better! I certainly can't.... Frustrating that those reef keeper systems are so expensive when really the actual hardware needed is pretty simply... The processing power of a Casio calculator aught to be enough!

Could have the monitor/control software dumping data to a rolling log too so you could recall data of the critical parameters...

Could have a built in Wifi interface too for wireless interfacing on your home network...

Cogs are turning now... Time for me to pick up a book and start learning how to write programs I think!

Back
Top Bottom