Pea puffer help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you go by the rule of 1 to every 5 gallons, you could definitely keep 2 in there, probably 3 since it's heavily planted.
Personally for that tank I'd go with either 1 or 3. Keeping only 2 of them leaves the possibility that they're either going to be fighting constantly for dominance, or one is going to be the bully. That's my opinion with them though. It's already planted so that's great because they love to explore. Mine enjoyed playing in the current as well.. I tried to rearrange things every few weeks to prevent boredom. If you could incorporate rock work in there as well it'd be great.

Cool thanks the tank is completely infested with hundreds

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 2 in my 5 gallon with a guppy
I also threw my 2 BB gobies in there because it was a PITA to feed them in my community tank. So far no squabbles, no spikes and no issues aside not having enough pond snails. I feed them frozen blood worms with a turkey baster as well. One loves them and will come right to the tip to grab them like my gobies do and the other could care less. Hes not skinny though so I know hes eating something. I have ponds and MTS in there.
One mistake I think I made was (if you see my setup) using large rocks for the look. I find the snails stay below them in the gravel most of the time. I know they peck the newly hatched ponds and probably an MTS here or there but Ive been thinking of alternate ways to get them snails. I know the java moss attracts them out and I also threw a piece of iceberg in there which does nothing. I saw online some guy actually made a small tray on a handle he puts snails in then drops them down and his puffers were going nuts.

I do a 50% WC each week and keep my filter clean.
You wont be able to sex them until their older. Ive read they also dont even develop their sex until maturity so you can get a group and STILL not get what you are looking for. When mature the males will have a black stripe on their belly.

Theyre neat, nothing as super fantastic as I actually anticipated to be honest.

Im hoping they get a bit bigger as they are so tiny they can barely be found half the time.

Honestly in a 10 I think you could do more than 2 or 3 if you make sure you dont overfeed and do a good clean every week. Also throw some shrimp in there. I have a ghost shrimp (sorry forgot to mention that earlier). He is not bothered at all and eats all the leftover food they discard.

watching the guppy swim in there youd think this was my tank lol

I have 2 in my 5 gallon with a guppy
I also threw my 2 BB gobies in there because it was a PITA to feed them in my community tank. So far no squabbles, no spikes and no issues aside not having enough pond snails. I feed them frozen blood worms with a turkey baster as well. One loves them and will come right to the tip to grab them like my gobies do and the other could care less. Hes not skinny though so I know hes eating something. I have ponds and MTS in there.
One mistake I think I made was (if you see my setup) using large rocks for the look. I find the snails stay below them in the gravel most of the time. I know they peck the newly hatched ponds and probably an MTS here or there but Ive been thinking of alternate ways to get them snails. I know the java moss attracts them out and I also threw a piece of iceberg in there which does nothing. I saw online some guy actually made a small tray on a handle he puts snails in then drops them down and his puffers were going nuts.

I do a 50% WC each week and keep my filter clean.
You wont be able to sex them until their older. Ive read they also dont even develop their sex until maturity so you can get a group and STILL not get what you are looking for. When mature the males will have a black stripe on their belly.

Theyre neat, nothing as super fantastic as I actually anticipated to be honest.

Im hoping they get a bit bigger as they are so tiny they can barely be found half the time.

Honestly in a 10 I think you could do more than 2 or 3 if you make sure you dont overfeed and do a good clean every week. Also throw some shrimp in there. I have a ghost shrimp (sorry forgot to mention that earlier). He is not bothered at all and eats all the leftover food they discard.

watching the guppy swim in there youd think this was my tank lol

I got a red cherry shrimp colony in there is that fine

I got a red cherry shrimp colony in there is that fine

One way to find out.
They may nip at the shrimp but I doubt they will decimate them if snails and other food is there.
They're pretty picky eaters.... Well mine are

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One way to find out.
They may nip at the shrimp but I doubt they will decimate them if snails and other food is there.

Ok I have plenty of snails

One way to find out.

I got my pea puffer but there to small to eat snails but soon there be big enough I'm so exited

They will eat the baby ones. I see mine pecking at things I can't see all the time.

Back
Top Bottom