Peacock bass care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidsheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I've just bought some peacock bass juveniles for my self. They are around 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Currently feeding them frozen bloodworms. Has anyone fed peacock bass bloodworm flakes or dried bloodworms?
And one more thing, if keep feeding them these food for a month what growth should I at least expect?

Thanx for reading my thread.
Comments are always appreciated.

I've never kept peacock bass or alligator gar but the answers to your questions should have been researched prior to purchase.

I have friends that keep them in 8ft. tanks and even that looks small with 30-36" fish swimming around. Their growth is around 1" per month for the first year and slows down after that. There are 15 different peacock bass with different growth rates and color but they reach large sizes.

Last edited:
ya are you putting these fish in a homemade lake? I would not think that a "fish tank" would or should house gar and Peacock Bass.

Hi there,
I've just bought some peacock bass juveniles for my self. They are around 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Currently feeding them frozen bloodworms. Has anyone fed peacock bass bloodworm flakes or dried bloodworms?
And one more thing, if keep feeding them these food for a month what growth should I at least expect?

Thanx for reading my thread.
Comments are always appreciated.

Cichlidsheaven,
Regarding the Peacock Bass & Alligator Gar....you might want to check this site out:
Monster Fish Keepers

Dennis

mdawg75 said:
ya are you putting these fish in a homemade lake? I would not think that a "fish tank" would or should house gar and Peacock Bass.

Lol. What it is I've bought these juveniles to grow them around 8inches and sell them. As I buy and sell fish but never bought these kind if fish before.

HUKIT said:
I've never kept peacock bass or alligator gar but the answers to your questions should have been researched prior to purchase.

I have friends that keep them in 8ft. tanks and even that looks small with 30-36" fish swimming around. Their growth is around 1" per month for the first year and slows down after that. There are 15 different peacock bass with different growth rates and color but they reach large sizes.

Sorry hukit forgot to mention their size. They are only two inches.

Well depending on which species you purchased will decide if it's a worth while investment. Cichla Intermedia are the most sought after with 2" fish selling for around $200-250, most commons here being monoculos and ocellaris being cheap for young fish around $15 for a 2" fish. So I don't know what the market is over there but you can see there's a huge difference in price.

HUKIT said:
Well depending on which species you purchased will decide if it's a worth while investment. Cichla Intermedia are the most sought after with 2" fish selling for around $200-250, most commons here being monoculos and ocellaris being cheap for young fish around $15 for a 2" fish. So I don't know what the market is over there but you can see there's a huge difference in price.

Bought 8 ocelaris. At that size they go for £15 but I've bought them dead cheap £5 each. 8inch ocelaris goes for just around £70-80. Now the question is how long will it take to get to 8inch if I feed them bloodworms and live fish such as my convict fries as they breed constantly?

One inch per month is average, skip the live and bloodworms and use quality pellet like NLS, you'll see better color and growth with balanced nutrition.

HUKIT said:
One inch per month is average, skip the live and bloodworms and use quality pellet like NLS, you'll see better color and growth with balanced nutrition.

I usually feed all my fish hikari gold pellets along with prawns, mussels and sometime fries.

Sorry guys. I've just spoken to the guy who imported them he said it's not a true gar so( i hold my hands up) it's some kind of spotted gar but his not sure which on cos he can't remember which one he sold to me till he doesn't see the file.

Attachments

• image-2144376591.jpg
    image-2144376591.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 147
From that picture I think it looks like a needle nose gar

From that picture I think it looks like a needle nose gar

This is what it looks like to me as well.

I have kept these before. Keep a good eye on it. They tend to be very susceptible to bacterial infections around there mouths, and if startled (which isn't hard to do) they can dart and injure themselves pretty easily.
I had a 6 inch literally break his snout on the glass once. Not a happy ending at all. Can be pretty aggressive too.

Low light and top/middle swimmers. Best in schools. A good healthy one will hit 10 to 12 inches. Biggest I ever kept was 8".

But to be honest I think the guy doesn't even know what it is. I'm gonna upload a clear picture today so you guys can let me know what it is.

Ewww. :blink: You would need a 10 foot footprint just for that thing to turn around. Good luck housing that one. I hate getting a cool fish and finding out it isn't what I was hoping for or expecting.

Fingers crossed for ya.

Back
Top Bottom