Peacock gudgeons or ? for mid-lower tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for more color and activity in the mid to lower part of my 20g and was considering peacock gudgeons. I have no experience with them at all. Other stock are dwarf rainbows and pygmy cories. How should they be stocked in terms of sex ratio, or would one be best? Are they difficult to feed?

I don't want another large school. Either a single or small group of something similar size to the other fish for that portion of the tank. And you folks always come up with awesome suggestions :flowers:

While macro lense photos of peacocks look pretty nice, their colors are not really all that wonderful up close and personal. They come off as being far more drab brown when see in the tank - at least mine do.

While macro lense photos of peacocks look pretty nice, their colors are not really all that wonderful up close and personal. They come off as being far more drab brown when see in the tank - at least mine do.

I've never seen that in any that I've ever kept, they've always been brilliantly colored. What are you feeding yours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never seen that in any that I've ever kept, they've always been brilliantly colored. What are you feeding yours?

Live food combined with Omega One Super color flakes. I'd love to see some brilliantly colored non macro photos, if/when you get a chance. I'll also look to see what I've got from mine, as I'm breaking in a new computer and haven't transferred photos yet.

Thanks for the responses, they should be here on Friday!

You might be able to keep Peacock Gudgeons with dwarf Rainbows, but not the full size ones like the Bosemaniis or Turquoise. The poor Gudgeons would get rammed into very easily at feeding time. They are very slow, gentle eaters that need tank mates that are also slow and easy going. I love my Peacock Gudgeons! I think they're one of the most underrated fish in the hobby. Mine are very pretty--more pastel though, than bright colors. But still very attractive. And sweet--they become very tame in no time. Just make sure they get enough to eat, as even the dwarf Rainbows are greedy.

My trio just arrived. Still in the bag after an overnight flight and already nice color! (y)

img_3182634_0_2ecfa94fa9b267177e4511ff25df7485.jpg

Very nice, and awesome color - now you have me wondering if I have all females and no males. If you don't me asking, where did you order your gudgeons from?

Very nice, and awesome color - now you have me wondering if I have all females and no males. If you don't me asking, where did you order your gudgeons from?

I requested 1M/2F, will verify later once they're settled in the tank.

This is my third order from Wet Spot Tropical Fish. Wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

A female's color won't differ from a male's with the exception of a yellow belly on the female.

I requested 1M/2F, will verify later once they're settled in the tank.

This is my third order from Wet Spot Tropical Fish. Wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Awesome thanks. I'm in the process of replacing/redesigning my Peacock gudgeon/Scarlet badis tank, so it will be a bit before I'm ready to order.

A female's color won't differ from a male's with the exception of a yellow belly on the female.

Hhhhmmmm . . . thanks, evidently I just have a pretty drab batch.

They are just under 1.5", very glad I decided to get them!

img_3182687_0_3bcd9e7c0881e480c20d06dd910d6f0a.jpg

How do the peacocks and badis get along?

I've had no issues between them, but the tank they are currently in is quite literally a jungle of plants, so lots of hiding spots. I've also got threadfins and shrimp in that tank.

Last edited:
They are just under 1.5", very glad I decided to get them!

img_3182715_0_3bcd9e7c0881e480c20d06dd910d6f0a.jpg

I really want to get some for a New Guinea biotope, but I can't decide which of my blue eyes I want in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom