Peacock tank/ Granite decoration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thephish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the site and wasn't sure if my question should go here or not.

My tank is all peacocks. I recently was given some scrap granite countertop pieces that would make some beautiful tank decorations, easy to stack etc.

My problem is, some, not all, of the granite pieces have a fiberglass mesh on the underside of the granite. I have yet to do the white vinegar test on it to see if it bubbles or not, but assuming it passes that, would the fiberglass be OK to leave on the underside of the granite? Are there any other measures I should go to to clean it?

I took a small piece and attempted to remove the fiberglass mesh, and it is very time consuming, risks bringing fiberglass into the house on clothes etc. and wouldn't be worth the hassle if it needs to all be removed.

Thanks.

not sure about granite but i use off white marble slabs for my angels to lay eggs on and they love it

I've read that granite itself is totally acceptable, assuming it has been cleaned and no chemicals on it etc. It's the fiberglass mesh on the backside of it that I'm concerned about.

Not real familiar with peacocks myself, but if the fish in your tank tend to pick at the rocks, they I would say not. Imagine if they got some of those fiberglass fibers stuck in their throat . . .

That's kind of what I was thinking, that and rubbing up against them as well, however, I know that some industrial, or commercial tanks are made of a combination of fiberglass and glass. However, I'm sure it's a different type of fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom