Peacocks in a 55G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidConway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I posted a question about how many peacocks I could stock in a 56G tall tank, and summarily got shot down with the idea. I may be able to swap that aquarium out for a 55G. I will be running a Fluval G6, Fluval 306, and an AquaClear 70. With the size of the 55G and the filtration I will be running, what would be a comfortable stocking level of peacocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is the thing about peacocks their not the most aggressive cichlids but they will fight with each male to the death if they hate each other. That being said 10 would be too many I'd go with 6 or 5 get them young and all at once. Once they are older the dominance prevents any new coming in.
And don't get females it makes the fighting worse actually they will fight to the death at that point.

Keep in mind they grow between 4 to 6 inches as adults provide some rocks and Anubis plants to break line of sight this way you won't have one claim the whole tank

I keep my ph above 8 with a buffer as I noticed they show more color this way

Which peacocks are you intending on getting? I know some are much bigger than others while some are only four or so inches? I'm curious to how many you could safely put a tank that size myself. I stock Mbuna and with those you are strongly encouraged to overstock. I thought peacocks and haps were the same

going to check that out, very interesting. I actually have a couple peacocks in my MBUNA tank...I was advised if you put them in when there already bigger than the Mbuna that they can do well...hope that works out for me, I love the peacocks

That's a different question and yes usually if your peacocks are bigger they will do ok with mbuna although not vary encouraged but works

The best way to put in mbuna are rock fish and heps and peacocks are open water fish they don't even have the same diet

Thanks for all the advice. I am not sure which peacocks I was going to get. Honesty, I was looking at color first. I was under the impression that they were passive fish. Should I get a couple of danos to cause a distraction?

Also, I am clueless on how to use a buffer to raise the pH. Any advice on that.

I think 5-7 peacocks would be perfect. I have already purchased a good amount of rock for hiding, plus I really like rock work in an aquarium.

Any suggestions on good colorful peacocks?

Im mostly into Mbunas , but Im learning about some of the Peacocks right here with you today. For my substrate I used Eco complete African and it took my normal ph from 7.4 up to 8.2 and seems to be holding very steady there.

7 would be too any for a 55g

On the colors just check the link

I live in San Antonio, and I've heard some talk about Dave's Rare Fish. Anyone heard of him?

I was also going to say that I will be using crushed coral and aragonite sand as substrate.

I still have no idea about buffering the pH. Any advice!

The crushed coral will buffer it for you. Do you know what your ph out of the tap is? I do use some chemicals to to get mine to where it is but it will be different for all of us on how much we need to do. Start with figuring out what your ph is without any buffers then we can figure out what and how much you need to buffer it. I have mine at 8.2 and from all I've read thats about perfect for all the African Cichlids. I am starting an Angel fish and South American Cichlid tank as well and the issue there will be the opposite , being I will prob need to lower the PH a little

Thanks for the tip. I have an API test kit and I'll check my tap water. I also have a 75G cichlid tank that is up and running, and I think the last time I checked the pH, it was 7.8. I also have cichlid substrate in the tank. I am not by my house at the moment, but will get back with you regarding the pH of my tap water. Thanks for your help, I am really interested in getting the pH up to 8.2.

My two fav mbunas and they're pretty colourful in my opinion.

Bumblebee

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411798597.610703.jpg

Yellow tail Acei

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411798644.933858.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I have an API test kit and I'll check my tap water. I also have a 75G cichlid tank that is up and running, and I think the last time I checked the pH, it was 7.8. I also have cichlid substrate in the tank. I am not by my house at the moment, but will get back with you regarding the pH of my tap water. Thanks for your help, I am really interested in getting the pH up to 8.2.

7.8 is pretty good too. I think its more important to keep it stable than to fight to get it to a certain range. Do you have any lace rock or holey rock in there already? those will slightly raise it to as will the Lake Malawii Cichlid buffer that I add. Ill get you the exact name of what I use but again if it you can get a routine and stick to it where it stays at a number and not always trying to push it up is much better.

In my 75G tank, I have petrified coral. The coral looks very nice and makes awesome caves. The fish love it. If I get that 55G, I was going to use some really cool river rocks that I bought online. Not sure what kind of rock it is, but it is brown and is full of fossils. Looks nice, but may not buffer the pH.

I was also going to add in that I have been running a Two Little Fishes phosban reactor with great results in my 75G. Really beat down the alge. I was also going to add on a Eheim 2217. For a total of:

1. Fluval FX6
2. Fluval 406
3. Aquaclear 110
4. Phosban Reactor
5. Soon to have Eheim 2217

Can't have too much filtration!

I plan on overstocking the 75G. Currently have 10 full grown Haps. Just got rid of 14 offspring. My local LFS took them.

I guess I will have to stock full grown fish (juveniles will be wiped out). Any good ideas on some cool fish to add to the 75G?

Still trying to see if I can swap out the 56G tall for a 55G.

Back
Top Bottom