Pearl Gouramis and current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm finding that having my water return come via waterfalls in a paludarium type set up leaves me will almost no water current to speak of, even with two canister filters. I have a small powerhead I could add, but it does create some visible water movement, even for only 250gph. I have the same one in my 100g and it blows the vals around it. I can't find anything about pearl gouramis and current-- would having too much be a problem for them? I will be adding corys to the tank... should I just leave the detritus for them and the snails to keep stirred up/buried, or would the addition of the powerhead be advisable?

Pearl gouramis live in the slow-moving freshwater in Asia. These include some lowland swamps, rivers and lakes (the swamps in particular have quite acidic water). These habitats share certain qualities which make them ideal for gourami. They tend to be quite shallow and have lots of plants and vegetation. There is very little current. As they have a labyrinth in their skulls, they can breathe air from the atmosphere, and are well adapted to stagnant waters. You don't need any current.

Back
Top Bottom