Pellet stuck in rainbow's throat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I fed some pellets to my fish and one of the rainbows got one stuck in its throat. He is now swimming around with his mouth open. Is this anything to worry about or should it just dissolve after a while?

the same thing happened when i had goldfish, i apparently had cheap flake food, and there were a chunk of flakes stuck together, and goldfish being pigs, tried swallowing it. it of course got stuck, but eventually got soft enough to swallow.

pellets take longer to get mushy, buy i would hope your fish would be ok after some time, how long has it been stuck?

Yes, he should manage once the pellet gets moist. Going forward, you may want to break them into smaller pieces. Yes they are quite hard but once you find a method that works for you, it'll be easy. I use a pair of pliers.

i have these bio things for bottom feeders, they are like hard pills. i stick a few in an old electric coffee grinder and give it a quick tap. it breaks them up quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom