penguin 200 power filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue ,
I bought 2 new marine land penguin 200 power filters less than a month ago,
both of them sheered through the shafts on the propellers , I just replaced my older filters for doing almost the same thing , the old ones were another brand, any how has anyone else encountered this issue, this is driving me nuts

I had problems with the bio-wheel getting stuck, but never with it getting damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

no sand or gravel has been sucked in I always use pre filters on the ends , bio wheels are a hit or miss getting them to work right but that don't bother me , it's the burning through the shafts on the propellers that drives me insane , I guess it's time to call the manufacturer I can't afford to have my filters down all the time ,

I'm on the phone with manufacturer as we speak ,
the quality of filters these days just isn't the same as it used to be.
they are sending me a few spare propellers
they said they have had a big incline with propeller shafts burning up and sheering in half
they said if I have further issues they will replace filters with better models that don't seem to have these issues

If you don't like the bio wheel, Walmart have the aquatech filter that is exactly the same as the penguin, minus the wheel. They even use the penguin cartridges. They use a bio-pad instead...

If you don't like the bio wheel, Walmart have the aquatech filter that is exactly the same as the penguin, minus the wheel. They even use the penguin cartridges. They use a bio-pad instead...

I have tried those filters in the past never had one last more than 6 months

now back to the penguin
thought everyone might be interested on what the shaft looks like after less than a month of running this is why I complain a lot :D this is the better of the 2 don't know were I put the other one
img_3203506_0_abd3c71ce132557ff788b55039e70acd.jpg

That's pretty bad. Perhaps something is not smooth inside the impeller magnet.

What went wrong with your aquatech's? Since they are virtually the same filter, I suspect they failed the same way?

the impeller set up is a little bit different but the shafts are even thinner
and parts are bit more harder to find as the siphon tub and impeller are 1 piece
and if you can find parts local it cost more for the part than the filter figure that one out
at least the impellers in the penguin are separate from the rest of the assembly and can be dissected and rebuilt with older parts I have laying around , but I really shouldn't have to do that to a new filter,

I see. I'll take a look at mine when I clean it.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom