Peppered corydosus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have a peppered Corydosus catfish that has a bit of a swollen eye and it has a little bit of a haze over it. Also it seems to sit at the bottom of the tank and breath heavy. Can someone please help me.

Your Corydoras Question

Good morning Fos...

A natural remedy that's fairly easy and may help your fish is to begin an aggressive water change routine for a couple of weeks and raise the tank temperature to approximately 80 to 82 degrees. No matter what's wrong with your fish a little warmth and a lot of very clean water will help. Change half the tank water every two to three days and raise the temp over a 48 hour period.

I keep large tanks and have several kinds of Corydoras and like to dose a little standard aquarium salt in my tanks, no more than a teaspoon for every five gallons of water change water. Corys can be senative to salt, but I've used it for years in my tanks and believe it helps the fishes' immune system.

PM me if you need more specifics.

B

I have no idea, but a friend of mine had a clownfish that got pop eye... Google that and read if it's something similar.

I'm not sure though, just an idea.

Foskett96 said:
Hi I have a peppered Corydosus catfish that has a bit of a swollen eye and it has a little bit of a haze over it. Also it seems to sit at the bottom of the tank and breath heavy. Can someone please help me.

Usually cloudy eyes are caused by poor water quality, and specifically often a low pH. It can also be an ancillary effect of flukes or Protozoa parasites. I agree that water changes are the most important thing. You may have to resort to antibiotics if you do not notice an improvement. Often the condition will clear on it's own with increased water quality.

As noted above, many diseases come from poor water quality and/or stress on the fish.

What size tank is it? What other fish are in there? Is it overstocked? Do you do 50% water changes 1-2x weekly? Vacuum the substrate? CHeck your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Is the tank cycled?

I'd start with 50% water changes every day for a few days and monitor the fish. If the symptoms don't get better, quarantine it and you may need to try some meds but you'd need to research the symptoms to find the correct medicine. Id' also be careful about dosing the whole tank with meds b/c some meds can kill your beneficial bacteria as well. But right now water changes ASAP.

Do you mean paleatus(?) cory? I ask because arent they one of the cories that need cooler temps? Might be too warm for it.

C. Paleatus is the scientific name for the peppered cory.

Yes they do like cooler temps but they can tolerate warmer temps for medical purposes. I kept them at 86 degrees for 2 weeks when my tank had ich (no salt used!!). They were fine, but maybe a little less active. I was afraid the heat might have damaged them but they spawned yesterday.... So i guess they are ok.

Back
Top Bottom