Peppermint shrimp killer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 2 peppermint shrimp. I noticed a few days ago that a piece of a p shrimp was in the tank. Don't know what could have got it. Possibly a bristleworm or maybe my cleaner shrimp or a hermit crab? Today I noticed the other one had disappeared completely. I've had them for a month or two. I've never seen anything mess with them. Water parameters are good. No traces if copper and no medications it treatments used anytime recently. Any ideas??

Oh and u know I do have one bristle worm that I seen about a month ago. It's not a fireworm and I don't know what kind it is buts it's every bit if 3 inches or more long and mostly white. I tried to catch it the one time I've seem it by he was tricky and got away from me. I've tried the trap too and I've caught some small ones buy he's smart. I figured he wad probably OK and stopped setting the trap.

Are you sure that it's not a molt?
The best time to try to find a peppermint shrimp, is at night when the lights are out. They like to hide during the day, usually.

Def not a molt it had shrimp in it and my eraser was pecking at it. They usually stayed out all the time though. Day and night.

What other fish are in there besides the wrasse? I would suspect the wrasse did it, before a cleaner shrimp, hermit crab, or a bristleworm. Many wrasses are not invert safe.

Its a mccoskers flasher wrasse and besides that I'm got a bicolor blenny and a ocellaris clown.

He is supposably invert safe and peaceful. Especially for a wrasse too. I've never seen him touch a shrimp snail or crab.

I agree, those fish don't normally, have a track record of harassing inverts, but some fish just don't fit the mold. If anything did it, I would think it was the wrasse. It's also possible, that the shrimp just died..., hard to tell.

I agree. Whats your salinity at? Low salinity will kill inverts. Bristle worms are not at all hunters. They are such good scavengers whenver something dies they start eating it immidiately making the owner think they are the killers. I would definitely leave those worms in your tank. They are very beneficial to have. GL!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom