peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some hithhiker clams that came on some FL LR ... I believe they are called chicken wings. I noticed that one had dropped off the rock it was on and the shell was cleaned out. Not sure when it dropped.

Last night I noticed my peppermint shrimp digging into one of the clams and then this morning a hunk of flesh was sticking out the side. Is the peppermint messing with the clam or do you think the clam is dieing and the shrimp is doing what is normal?

I would think it was already dead. If it was alive the clam would have snapped shut as soon as the shrimp touched it.

Yeah, that is true. I just wonder what is up with the clams. This would be the second one to go ...hmmm. I have about 6 of them in the tank. I would not want them all to go. That might cause a water issue.

I don't necessarily like these clams but I don't want them dead either. I guess I need to check my water...

I had a few hitchhiker clams, and accidentially killed one on a move (didn't realize the things were so fragile). I do think they're kinda cool looking though, and add to the natrual look of the tank.

I agree that they look nice. I had a couple die when I first got the rock and it fouled my water up real bad.

Update:
I actually noticed another shell was empty and the snails were working on another. I seem to be missing a chromis too. My corals are doing great though. I did see a slight increase in the ammonia this morning so I will do a water change tonight but seems like the clean up crew is doing its thing.

Hopefully this won't get worse. Things have been good ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom